Brad's Reviews > More, Now, Again: A Memoir of Addiction

More, Now, Again by Elizabeth Wurtzel

419333

bookshelves: non-fiction, memoir

If you don't like Elizabeth Wurtzel's writing, which was deeply rooted in her personal experience and her unapologetic, raw voice, then More, Now, Again isn't for you.

Two years after she wrote Bitch, one of the defining Third Wave feminist books, she dropped her addiction memoir, which was a spiritual follow to her best seller Prozac Nation. Only she's seven years old, a lot more famous, and somehow still lost in the world in her head, an experience anyone with anxiety or depression or addiction understands.

(I used to call it the hamster wheel. When you get it on, you're running hard to get away but you're just getting tired and not making progress.)

The best way I can describe this book is as if The Catch in the Rye's Holden Cau'field sprang to life in the body is the brilliant, beautiful, fiery, damaged writer.

When I sat down to write this review, I went back and read some of what the literary critics wrote at the time. She was—as she often was—excoriated as a narcissist who found her every moment interesting and worthy of commentary.

But, of course, that's the entire point of anxiety and depression and addiction. Most of us go through life not thinking about each. individual. second. in. the. day. This is we think "time flies when you're having fun" or wonder why you don't remember the drive home while you daydreamed.

Wurtzel's brilliance—and don't get me wrong, I wanted to throw the book across the room more than once—is that she's painting a picture of what it means to live in a world in which you never daydream or forget the seconds that go by.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read More, Now, Again.

April 13, 2019 – Shelved (Hardcover Edition)
April 13, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read (Hardcover Edition)
Started Reading