Olivia Farr's Reviews > The Little Teashop on Main

The Little Teashop on Main by Jodi Thomas

bookshelves: netgalley-reviews, other-reviews

THE LITTLE TEASHOP ON MAIN follows three best friends, two of their parents, and the boys/men who are significant in their lives. The three best friends, Zoe, Shannon, and Emily met when they were five and had an arranged tea party. Though they are very different people and personalities, they have been bonded through time. Zoe and Shannon each have single parents (Alex and Mack), who also get perspectives. The other perspectives are from Fuller and Jack, two boys/men who are significant to the girls.

With many perspectives and following over 30 or so years, there's a lot going on in this book. However, it remains easy to follow. The lives are easy to get sucked into and each person has a unique story/perspective that makes you fall in love with all of them. I loved this view of a small town from so many individuals in it. I also really loved some of the romances, particularly for Alex/Mack, though I would have liked to go more in-depth into backgrounds and hang-ups. Due to the many perspectives and times, a lot of these facts get dropped in bundles.

My only real issue about the book is that one of the boys/men, Fuller, is a stalker, and this is meant to be seen as sympathetic/not creepy, particularly given later events. However, someone who follows you around and spies on your activities is not particularly a healthy nor sympathetic character. If you can move beyond that ick factor, it is otherwise sweet. Beyond the stalking, I would also add warnings for past sexual assault (not described), depression/suicidality, character death, and drunk driving/hit and run (two are not the same events).

Overall, I found it to be an emotional and engrossing read. I do wish the stalking had been presented differently and would have liked to get deeper into individual characters versus following so many. Please note that I received a copy from the publisher. All opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Little Teashop on Main.

April 18, 2019 – Started Reading