Marialyce's Reviews > The Girl He Used to Know

The Girl He Used to Know by Tracey Garvis Graves

bookshelves: books-of-2019, library, jan-mar

How could you not love a book that allows you to crawl into the mind and heart of its main character? You feel the pain, the sorrow, the hope, and the need to fit in so much that you yourself become that character. That’s exactly what you find reading about Annika, a most delightful character and her struggles with what we now know is autism.

If you know someone, and who doesn’t, who is autistic, you probably are aware of the difficulties that person has trying to find their place in a world that often seems hostile and unforgiving. For Annika her struggles are apparent, no friends, being thought of as strange, and sadly being taken advantage of. She retreats, insulates herself from hurt and decides to surround herself with what she loves, books.

Life takes a turn as she heads to college working on independence and meeting two of the most wonderful characters ever to grace a story. Jonathan the man who comes to love her, and her friend and roommate, Janice. Jonathan and Annika are thrown together at a chess club. She is reluctant to participate, to branch out,  but there is something that Jonathan sees and eventually loves about Annika. He draws her out of the shell she has created for herself and ultimately falls in love with her and she with him.

Sounds like a perfect story but there not silver linings in Annika's story, and so Annika and Jonathan separate. It’s sad and tragic but Annika has strength that she is discovering and that strength is the strength of self. “The constant vigilance and my heightened anxiety that I'd screw it up anyway exhausted me, but I persevered.”

Ten years later fate intervenes and offers Annika another chance for happiness if she is willing to grab that gold ring. Jonathan is back and as they reconnect he wonders is Annika still the girl he used to know or is she something even more wonderful?

I absolutely am over the top in love with this story. I so appreciated the author’s wonderful effort in taking on the topic of autism in such a touching and sensitive manner. This is how you portray the autistic spectrum with eyes focused on the beauty of life, love, and friendship that is open to all even if you are different.

Don’t miss this amazing story. It will warm your heart and make you come to the understanding that to be different is often a wonderful thing to be.

Jan and I loved this story. It made us feel all those wonderful emotions that a talented author can make you feel. We were both sad though, and that sadness was because this beautiful story had come to an end.
Our reviews can be found here: http://yayareadslotsofbooks.wordpress...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl He Used to Know.

April 18, 2019 – Started Reading
April 18, 2019 – Shelved
April 20, 2019 –
page 290
April 27, 2019 – Shelved as: books-of-2019
April 27, 2019 – Shelved as: library
April 27, 2019 – Shelved as: jan-mar
April 27, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)

Brandice Fantastic review, Marialyce! So glad you loved the story too, it is one of my all-time favorites! :)

Susanne  Strong Wonderful review Marialyce!! So glad you both loved this!

Jayme I am so happy to see that you both loved this one as much as I did! Lovely review!! 💕

Michelle So glad you both loved this! This was one of my favorite books I’ve ever read. Great review as well!

Mary Fantastic review! I loved this one,too!!

message 6: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Such a lovely review Marialyce 🤗

JanB Love your review Marialyce. I'm so glad we read this lovely story together!

message 8: by KAS (new) - rated it 4 stars

KAS Terrific, thoughtful review, Marialyce ;) So glad you enjoyed this very unique read as much as I did!! 🌷💚🌷

Jonetta Lovely, lovely review, Marialyce 💜

message 10: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Wonderful review, Marialyce 💖

Cheri Fabulous review, Marialyce, I really loved how well this author seemed to get inside Annika's thoughts and feelings. It felt authentic to me. So happy that you loved this!

message 12: by Antoinette (new) - added it

Antoinette Fantastic review, Marialyce! I really want to read this one now.

message 13: by Holly (new)

Holly  B This one seems to be getting lots of love. Great review!

Marialyce Thanks everyone! This is a book that I think of as a must read.

Susan's Reviews I'm on hold for this one at the library. Your excellent review just makes me pine for it even more now. I loved Graves On The Island - what a great read that was. Her other books didn't grab me, though. I hope this one is just as good as On the Island!

Marialyce I so hope you will love this one, Susan. It’s a book that make the reader happy I think. Enjoy!

message 17: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Terrific review, Marialyce!

Marialyce Angela M wrote: "Terrific review, Marialyce!"

Thanks so much, Angela!

message 19: by Lynn (new) - added it

Lynn Fabulous review! This is already on my TBR list.

message 20: by Esil (new) - added it

Esil Lovely review, Marialyce. You and Jan make me feel like read this one for sure.

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Awesome review, Marialyce! Everybody seems to love this book. So glad this one was a five star for you.

Marialyce Thank you to all of you who commented. I so appreciate your taking the time to do so and hope those of you who have not read this story will get a chance to do so.

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Terrific review Marialyce! So glad you and Jan loved this!

Bianca Wow, I've seen so many five stars for this, it'd better not disappoint me, as I've just picked my library copy.

Nicole Great review!! I loved this book and am also sad that it is over!

Meredith Fabulous review, Marialyce! So glad you enjoyed this one too!

message 27: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Masterson Lovely review, Marialyce!

message 28: by Dana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dana I just added this to my summer list, when I hope to get back to my books! Awesome review!

message 29: by Victoria (new)

Victoria What a touching review, Marialyce. I loved so much about it and I'm so happy you and Jan had such a beautiful book to share.

Marialyce Lynn wrote: "Fabulous review! This is already on my TBR list."

Thanks, Lynn! I know that you will love this story.

Marialyce Esil wrote: "Lovely review, Marialyce. You and Jan make me feel like read this one for sure."

Hope you get a chance to read this story, Esil.

Marialyce Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Marialyce! So glad you enjoyed this one too!"

Thank you, Meredith!

Nicole wrote: "Great review!! I loved this book and am also sad that it is over!"

That was us as well...sad to see it end.

Lindsay - Traveling Sister wrote: "Terrific review Marialyce! So glad you and Jan loved this!"

Thanks so much, Lindsay!

Marialyce Dana wrote: "I just added this to my summer list, when I hope to get back to my books! Awesome review!"

I so hope you will love this story, Dana!

Jennifer wrote: "Lovely review, Marialyce!"

Thanks, Jennifer!

Marialyce Victoria wrote: "What a touching review, Marialyce. I loved so much about it and I'm so happy you and Jan had such a beautiful book to share."

Thank you, Victoria! It was such a touching story.

Christine Beautifully written, Marialyce. You stated the power of this book so well!

message 36: by Mike (new) - added it

Mike Wonderful review, Marialyce!!