Viv's Reviews > An Accidental Date with a Billionaire

An Accidental Date with a Billionaire by Diane Alberts

U 50x66

bookshelves: netgalley-reads
Read 2 times. Last read March 6, 2019.

As probably one of the more 'original' storylines that I've read in this genre, (although of course there are elements from other tropes), I have to say that I loved this. From the 'never-ending dates', to both of their hearts for others (and for each other of course), to the arguably nuanced back stories and motivations, I really enjoyed it. As soon as I got the book, I couldn't stop reading it. Genuinely.

Overall:
Yes, this plays into the whole idea of a 'billionaire' and the life of wealth, privilege and luxury that they have, but I truly felt that Alberts played this well by balancing it with a genuine look at how sometimes money can come from (and often large fortunes come from) taking advantage of others. I loved that there was a theme (at the risk of sounding like I'm in English class) of helping others. I mean their first date did start off at Habitat for Humanity, so... I loved their relationship throughout the novel, even if at times I wanted to slam my head against a door - but I suppose isn't at that the proof of a true connection - the fact that you care about their relationship (regardless of a guaranteed HEA)?

Characters:
Okay, so I LOVED Sam and her heart for people (especially given all the crap that her family put others through) but most of all, I loved how she refused to take other peoples' crap, particularly Taylor's. Gotta love that. Her sass and wit was pretty fun to read and I do admit to laughing out loud at some points. I admired her drive and ambition to right the wrong's that her family made and her true passion for others.
Taylor. Now there's a man I appreciate. No matter how much of a douchebag he seemed in the beginning, throughout the novel, I really grew to like him. Smart, a heart (no matter how he seems in the beginning), hard working and sharp, a great candidate for a match for Sam/hero of the story. Of course, the fact that he's handsome, wealthy and has great chemistry with Sam helps too! If there was one complaint I had about his character, it probably would just be that I felt he changed too quickly from seeming douchebag to suddenly being this helpful and outgoing guy. I don't know, perhaps there just wasn't enough of a transition, it was almost like he was two different people (one might argue that he has a facade, but still).
Storyline:
As far as originality of the storyline, although I can't personally say that I've read a story with a similar storyline, I'm sure that there are elements in this one that are similar to others. But I don't mind that at all. The plotting, I appreciated, because it was the perfect pace for me. It wasn't too fast, where if you jumped a few pages you'd have no idea what was going on, but it wasn't so slow that nothing happened. It was Goldilocks -just perfect.

Overall, I truly did enjoy this novel, hence the 4 star rating and I'd definitely be interested in some of Alberts other works. Simply a fantastic read for a quiet night in.

Note: I was generously provided an ARC of this novel from the publisher in return for an honest review, via NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Accidental Date with a Billionaire.

Finished Reading