Jamee Pritchard's Reviews > Story of a Rag Doll

5871961
Feb 16, 2012

bookshelves: to-review
Read from February 16 to 20, 2012

This book was such an emotional ride. I absolutely connected with the characters and felt their frustrations, their sadness and joy, and their evolution from childhood to adulthood. I was in a love-hate relationship with the main character, Levi, because I didn’t always agree with her choices. She clearly was a fan at making her life miserable. I constantly had an internal dialogue with her, berating her for letting a boy control her life. Toby, the main male character in the book, was a game-player. I could never really tell if he was being sincere towards Levi, and always questioned Levi’s motivation for running back to him when in front of her were so many easier choices.

The author, A.J. Mullarky, does an amazing job of crafting a story of teenage angst. Her writing is simple and straightforward. She uses no metaphors or lyrical language, yet so much emotion and meaning is brought forth in her telling of this story. I was completely drawn in from the first to the last page. She artfully expressed the jealousy, the longing, and the indecision of that first, forbidden love.

For me, a good writer is someone able to create characters that leap off the page, so much so, that the reader believes those characters are real people. A good writer is able to create a story so rich in emotion and turmoil that the reader cannot decipher between the real and fictional world. A good writer is someone who can take the idea of a love struck teenager and turn it into a gripping story that is just too hard to put down. With that said, my only conclusion is that A.J. Mullarky is a good writer.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Story of a Rag Doll.