ButtonsMom2003's Reviews > The Second Chance Rancher

The Second Chance Rancher by Kate Pearce

bookshelves: netgalley, arc-from-author

A great start to a new series.

While The Second Chance Rancher technically begins a new series, The Millers of Morgan Valley Ranch, it's also kind of a continuation of the Morgan Ranch series, with characters from Morgan Ranch playing secondary roles. You don't need to have read any of the books from that series to enjoy this one but you might just be intrigued enough to want to read it (and they are great books).

Jackson Lymond has left his military career in the Air Force behind to return to Morgan Valley to help his brother, Cuay, with the ranch he inherited. He seems to be pretty happy-go-lucky and not have a care in the world but, of course, that isn't true. He has emotional scars from his time in the service but he doesn't want to show that side to anyone.

Daisy Miller runs the flower shop in Morgan Valley but she also has a secret that she's keeping from her family (five older brothers and their father). A few years ago, she returned to Morgan Valley a broken person and they helped heal her. She promised she wouldn't return to what broke her but she broke that promise and it's eating at her that she hasn't told them the truth.

Jackson is attracted to Daisy but they kind of get off on the wrong foot. Once they come to an understanding Jackson agrees to Daisy's terms of a friends-with-benefits/fake boyfriend arrangement because she's not ready for a serious relationship.

There's quite a bit going on in this story: a mystery about coins found in a silver mine, what Daisy is really doing other than running her flower shop, the feelings that Jackson has buried under the facade he presents to the world. We are also introduced to all of Daisy's brothers, who I suspect will each get a book in the future.

I enjoyed this story very much and liked how the relationship between Daisy and Jackson wasn't always lovey-dovey. In real life partners argue and have misunderstandings and it was nice to see that represented well in this story and yet you know that they care for each other even as they are arguing.

The set-up for additional stories was great but didn't leave me with a cliffhanger feeling at all. The romance between Daisy and Jackson is resolved but my appetite for additional stories was definitely whetted. 😊

A review copy was provided by the publisher via NetGalley but this did not influence my opinion or rating of the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Second Chance Rancher.

April 17, 2019 – Shelved