Tyson Adams's Reviews > Redshirts

Redshirts by John Scalzi

liked it

Sometimes you can create characters that are a little bit too realistic.

Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Intrepid as a xenobiologist. But from his first day onboard he notices that something is wrong with the rest of the crew. He and his fellow new recruits quickly realise that people on away missions have a nasty habit of dying. Except for a select handful of important crew members that is. They also notice that reality doesn't make much sense at times when The Narrative takes over. Can Dahl and his friends figure it out before an away mission kills them too?

After reading the first chapter of Redshirts I had to consult with the interwebz to answer a question about this book: Is it worth reading the whole thing? Aside from one notable review that captured several of my concerns, the vast majority of my fellow readers loved Scalzi and this book. So I decided to persist and found myself at the end of the book with the same reservations as I had at the end of the first chapter.

Firstly, this book was good enough to keep me reading. Redshirts has a very strong premise and the story is mostly well executed. The main story - more on the codas in a minute - steams along and is pretty entertaining. It won a Hugo, so clearly it has a lot to offer.

Now, let's get to the buts.

For what is clearly a comedic novel, Redshirts is nowhere near as funny as it thinks it is. He said. He said. It has a cast of characters that are meant to be shallow and interchangeable, but they are so interchangeable that you wouldn't know who was talking if you weren't constantly reminded. He said. He said. The premise may be very strong, but I felt it wasn't fully realised, which left me frustrated. And then the three codas arrived and shifted away from the previous 25 chapters' lighthearted tone. All three, but especially 2 and 3, had a much more serious tone and felt like they belonged in a different novel.

So while I mostly enjoyed reading Redshirts, I feel it wasted its premise and wasn't as well executed as I'd have liked.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Redshirts.

April 17, 2019 – Started Reading