Scribe's Reviews > Moby-Dick or, the Whale

Moby-Dick or, the Whale by Herman Melville

bookshelves: classics

What to write here? I have finished this, but am still reeling a little. Journeys and symbols, glimpses of things huge and the fear of becoming nothing. I will let this one settle for a while.

Part Shakespearean epic, part teardown of an industry, part 'Just a Minute', it's hard going a lot of the time. I was drawn on by the tales of ships, the description of light in a time before electricity, by the richness of language and by the hints towards our understanding of civilisation.

And at the end, I had gone from 3 stars to 5 stars. The ideas tackled here bring together the challenges and difficulties we face even more today - or relationship with nature, and our innate urge to survive in a world out to kill us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moby-Dick or, the Whale.

April 17, 2019 – Shelved
April 17, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read-not-got
December 9, 2019 – Started Reading
January 31, 2020 –
page 282
February 19, 2020 –
page 386
59.02% ""Is it not curious that.. the whale should see the world through so small an eye, and hear the thunder through an ear which is smaller than a hare's? But if his eyes were broad as the lens of Herschel's great telescope; and his ears capacious as the porches of cathedrals; would that make him any longer of sight, or sharper of hearing? Not at all. - Why then do you try to 'enlarge' your mind? Subtilize it.""
March 19, 2020 –