Andrew Doohan's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

bookshelves: audible-books, recreational-reading

One of the great things about spending a lot of time in the car recently has been the opportunity to listen to Mr Stephen Fry read the unfolding story of Harry Potter to me. The combination of a rich narrative, which I haven't indulged since the original book was released, with an authoritative voice that is quintessentially British, has held my attention captive.

Harry's second year at Hogwart's School is the subject matter of this particular volume, and we are reunited with the range of characters we were first introduced to in the first volume. We watch the ongoing development of the characters, masterfully undertaken by Rowling, together with an ever-deepening knowledge of the back story that is part of the grand narrative slowly being revealed to the reader.

Revisiting the story after so long - and putting aside the movie version of the book - I am once again amazed at the power of Rowling's combination of timeless themes with a story-telling genius. There can be little doubt in my mind at least that the Harry Potter series of books will remain a timeless contribution not only the genre of 'young adult fiction' but to the broader range of brilliantly crafted stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

April 17, 2019 – Shelved