Erin's Reviews > Under the Midnight Sky

Under the Midnight Sky by Anna Romer

liked it
bookshelves: australian, mystery-thriller-suspense

** spoiler alert ** Readers often hypothesise the outcomes of a story, guess the twist, and if it’s well written, read with bated breath as the reveal unfolds. Such was the effect of this book - and boy did I get it wrong!

With a blend of 1st and 3rd person POV, and gentle swings from past to present, this story has different feel to its telling and is both eerie and hopeful at the same time.*

I could have done without the romance, I know that it plays a significant part to the love, trust, and forgiveness themes that are central to the story, but I just didn’t feel the chemistry between the two main characters, and to be perfectly honest, it felt forced so as to have some lighter content to balance out the darker undertones of the main plot.

Under the Midnight Sky may not be your typical action packed suspense thriller, but don’t let that fool you. This tortoise-paced mystery is quite the emotional rollercoaster, and one that I think will stay with me for some time.

*hovering between 3 and 4, so calling it 3.5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Midnight Sky.

April 17, 2019 – Shelved