Cora Tea Party Princess's Reviews > Lily's Just Fine

Lily's Just Fine by Gill Stewart

5 Words: Summer, friendship, attraction, control, inclusion.

Content warnings: Depression, anxiety, homophobia.

Book Review: Lily's Just Fine by Gill Stewart

This book was all at once fun fluff and serious issues - and I loved it.

At times Lily can be a rather difficult characters. I definitely didn't always a agree with her, she can be rather selfish and single minded, but she grows and changes. When she learns something, she adjust to it. She is pretty damn firey, but she can also empathise with others. And become a bit too caught up in fighting for what she thinks is right, even if it might harm people.

I loved the LGBT+ themes, the way mental health was explored, how changing family dynamics were picked apart. I loved how a side character had chronic fatigue syndrome, the gripes about chronic illnesses and how even now so little is known about it. I also loved the soft, slowly building romance.

Unusually, the setting is a seaside town in Scotland. It had some colloquialisms, I felt that the voices were authentic, and it was a bit of a joy to read. I felt like the accent came through in the writing.

Lily's Just Fine is perhaps a little bit of an issue book, but that's not the whole of it. I found the story perfectly balanced, with enough drive from the characters themselves (rather than their issues) to keep me reading.

This book is perfect for summer, and I'd definitely recommend. I can't wait read more of the Galloway Girls series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lily's Just Fine.

April 17, 2019 – Started Reading
April 17, 2019 – Shelved
12.0% "This is so cute!"
April 17, 2019 –
31.0% "THE CUTENESS THOUGH!!!"
April 17, 2019 –
45.0% "This book is just so bloody lush."
April 18, 2019 –