Slayermel's Reviews > Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Jul 21, 2008

it was ok
bookshelves: own, 2008, classics, fiction, female-authors, book-club, made-into-film, 19th-century, 1001-books, english, bbc-top-200, 501-must-read-books, kobo
Read in October, 2008 , read count: 1

Well this was definitely an interesting book. It took me a long time to get into it, because I genuinely disliked all the characters in it. They are vindictive, mean, selfish and spoiled creatures. Mr. Lockwood and the maid Ellen Dean where decent people and I had a bit of sympathy for Cathy and Hareton, as they suffered greatly at the hands of others. The story was interesting and I did want to find out how it was all going to end, because just when I thought things could not get more messed up, they did!

I however did not find it to be an easy read because I would get bored or annoyed with parts of the book and put it down and not want to pick it up again. I'm glad I did get through it though. One major complaint I do have with this story is that Emily Bronte very briefly mentions important facts in the story and then never brings them up again.
*spoiler alert*
For example she briefly touches upon the fact that Catherine is pregnant (and does so in a round about way in two short lines), and then we never hear of it again until the child is born. Leaving the reader wondering where the child came from. Then we warp ahead in time twelve years. I found this quite frustrating.

I would not class this as a romance or a love story because I don't think these people are truly capable of love. It's way to twisted for that.
After having a discussion with my friend on the novel we where wondering how often people in the eighteenth century died from coming down with a fever. As it seemed to be a pretty common thing, might be interesting to look into. Or how many people died or became gravely ill after having conflict that brings on mental stress? I'm genuinely curious about this as I know people did not tend to live as long back then.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wuthering Heights.

10/01/2008 page 116
10/20/2008 page 155
46.27% "Finished reading the first half of the book, and these people are all Nuts! The only one who seems somewhat rational is Ellen Dean the maid."
10/20/2008 page 155
10/23/2008 page 186
55.52% "I didn't think this tale could get anymore twisted but it did! I'm finally flying through the pages though, what a slow start."
show 1 hidden update…