Toni's Reviews > Who Says You're Dead? Medical & Ethical Dilemmas for the Curious & Concerned

Who Says You're Dead? Medical & Ethical Dilemmas for the Curi... by Jacob M. Appel

bookshelves: arcs-2019

Jacob Appel has given us another unique book this time looking at mostly medical cases as they might, or are viewed ethically. While the book is nonfiction, the patients' privacy has been protected by name and details changed.
As mentioned in the book's summary, and most appropriate, it's similar to a, "What would you do?" if you were the decision maker on each case. While the details are given, Jacob presents a few thought-provoking questions just to spur us on.
The best feature, in my opinion, is that there are no answers provided in the book; we're left with our best guess. An educated guess maybe?!. Some I had strong emotions about, especially cases involving children or the elderly. Some, I was baffled and confused; actually pleased that I was not involved in the final judgement call.
This is a fascinating and interesting book, and really opens our eyes to what doctors, lawyers, and families must deal with routinely. Bless them.

Thanks you Netgalley, Algonquin Press, and the intelligent and over-educated, Mr. Appel. (I say that with love and honor; and jest.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who Says You're Dead? Medical & Ethical Dilemmas for the Curious & Concerned.

April 15, 2019 – Shelved
April 15, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
April 23, 2019 – Started Reading
April 23, 2019 – Shelved as: arcs-2019
August 9, 2019 –
15.0% "It's a combination of "Jeopardy" and "What would you do?" providing many ethical dilemmas for us to ponder."
August 19, 2019 – Finished Reading