T.B. Cooper's Reviews > Lakes of Mars

Lakes of Mars by Merritt Graves

A super long book, longer than I expected… worth every minute, even though the story was left on a cliff hanger. 4.5 stars.

Plot: In a distant future, out in space, there’s something going on at the borders, called The Rim… a war with some terrifying creatures. But, is it real?

Characters: Aaron, the M.C., is sent to Corinth, a brutal, jail-like training center for teens. It’s not where he wanted to be, but he ends up finding a calling within the conspiracies. The government is training these youths for the war, using questionable tactics and oversights where you just can’t help but feel sorry for these kids. There’s a lot of different characters in here, boys & girls, some more (character) developed than others, but each one has a purpose and their own different struggles with the life they’ve found themselves in.

The Writing: The writing is rich and detailed, written from Aaron’s 1st person POV. There is plenty of imaginative and technical jargon mixed in, as well as flowing dialogue that moves the story quickly. 500+ pages and I STILL read it in a single day.

In Case You Wanted to Know: There is SOooo MUCH FOUL language in here. Could it have been avoided? Sure, but I think it was almost necessary, because (hear me out) have you heard YA/ teenage boys when they’re playing a heated video game? Or when they’re about to fight? Testosterone definitely plays its role in this one, for sure.

Overall: My ONLY disappointment was that the story ended with a cliff hanger. I DO want to know what happens next, and I’m sure I’ll gladly get Book #2. There was an element of conspiracy throughout, and that alone kept me HOOKED. Something was off, right from the start, but full of understanding (or actually, a clearer picture) didn’t come until near the end. Going in, I wasn’t sure what to expect. I was delightfully surprised. 4.5 stars.

*I received a FREE copy of this story, in exchange for my honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lakes of Mars.

Finished Reading