Melissa's Reviews > When We Believed in Mermaids

When We Believed in Mermaids by Barbara O'Neal

Moving story about sisterhood, love, and learning how to let go of the past in order to live fully in the present.
O'Neal has a gift for reaching deep into the soul and breaking the reader's heart and then mending it again. If I have one quibble about this story was that the backstory wasn't revealed fast enough for me, I wanted to know more quickly about the things that shaped the sisters as they were growing up, and some of it was only hinted at until almost the end.
Other than that, this is a wonderful story told from the points of view of the two sisters, allowing the reader to feel their aching loss of each other and their anger and betrayal, as well as the love that survived it all. Although their experiences are unique, the emotions behind what happened resonated with me and my own life experiences.
Recommended for those who like emotionally heartfelt and occasionally heart wrenching stories of family and love.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book, all opinions are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When We Believed in Mermaids.

April 15, 2019 – Shelved