Sarah's Reviews > Survival

Survival by A.M. Hargrove

Feb 16, 2012

did not like it
bookshelves: not-my-cup-of-tea, ya-new

You know that book where the lonely accident prone girl who thinks she's plain jane, but everyone else thinks is gorgeous falls in love with the guy who's not human, but looks like he is except during certain parts of the day? And he has this family full of equally gorgeous super nice people who all like to drive real fast. So they have this garage full of super expensive cars which they can afford, along with their mansion sized house, due to some fuzzy details about money. And did I mention this hot guy is an amazing piano player, great cook, has superhuman speed and strength and (wait for it) can read minds. He completely falls in love with this girl (despite all the obvious reasons not to) and is determined to be with her even though it could be the downfall of his entire family.

Yeah, it was Twilight. But, it's also the exact same story line as Survival.

This story was about twice as long as it needed. The author uses multiple POV to show us the same scene from both the MCs, but we don't get any new information from the second telling. Unfortunately, the story also switches occasionally from first person POV to third which made this story hard to read.

We also get a little too much back story on the MC and her college roommates (who don't really impact the story). Paranormal elements don't enter the story until chapter 12. Much too late.

I stuck it out to finish the book only to learn the end is a cliffhanger. This was really disappointing. For me, I didn't care enough about the characters to feel the pull of needing to know what happens next. Kudos to the author for finishing a book and putting it out there, but this was not my cup of tea.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Survival.

February 16, 2012 – Started Reading
February 16, 2012 – Shelved
February 22, 2012 –
February 22, 2012 – Finished Reading
March 12, 2012 – Shelved as: not-my-cup-of-tea
October 20, 2014 – Shelved as: ya-new

Turtle I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed and pointed out the glaringly obvious similarities between this book and Twilight.