OhWell's Reviews > Compete

Compete by Vera Nazarian

bookshelves: science-fiction, dystopian-or-post-apocalyptic, older-teens

It’s rare that the second book in a series is better than the first, but this is the case here. The one-year trip in space was intense and captivating, from its tragic beginning, to the lessons (flight school in particular), races, zero-gravity dances and all associated events. Thankfully the story follows a different path than The Hunger Games!

I liked the expanded cast of characters, mainly Gennio and Anu (one of my favourites!), and the consul (who would have thought?...). We got to see some of our old acquaintances up-close: Logan, who had a few surprises up his sleeve, Xelio and Oalla, who proved to be both interesting and likable, and a few others. A special mention for Blayne, as I forgot to do it in the review for Qualify. It’s commonplace to have characters with different sexual orientations these days, while people with disabilities are often overlooked. I’m glad Vera Nazarian took a chance; she did an excellent job with Blayne!

Gwen is less annoying, with her insistence on not choosing Civilian or Cadet the most notable exception. How come she doesn’t realize that even Citizens must be one or the other? I'm surprised everyone lets her get away with that nonsense.

Saving the best for last, Aeson is still Aeson, cool and composed, with only hints at what’s hiding underneath. And of course he is responsible for the biggest twist in the end!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Compete.

April 15, 2019 – Started Reading