Angel 's Reviews > Mix Shake Stir: Recipes from Danny Meyer's Acclaimed New York City Restaurants

Mix Shake Stir by Danny Meyer

190365
Feb 16, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: art-and-photography, foods-and-epicurious

I admit that I checked out this book mostly for the pictures. I do like cocktail recipe books, especially ones like these with nice photos. This volume does have some nice photography. However, like similar books, this is a book to look at, not one to really try to replicate the recipes. Unless you have a generous budget and you live near good farmers' markets (or better yet, have a Whole Foods nearby), you may not be able to make many of the recipes featured. This is because the recipes constantly asked for pricey high end liquors, infusions in said liquor often made with rare items, and fruit that in some locales may be unheard of. I am not saying that may be a bad thing. After all, this book is a collection of recipes from a group of high end New York City bars. But outside such a locale, it may not be as practical a book. While I do agree with the maxim that one should aim to have the best ingredients possible to make a good cocktail, I also believe you should not have to break the bank. So, overall, a pretty book to look at, but if you are looking for an actual practical book to make a casual cocktail at home, without breaking the bank, there are other choices.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mix Shake Stir.

February 16, 2012 – Started Reading
February 16, 2012 – Shelved
page 30
page 67
page 125
page 174
77.68% "Nice quote: "One of the most important tools in your bar should be your library. The more you know about what other bartenders have done, the more successful your own creativity will be.""
February 17, 2012 – Shelved as: art-and-photography