T.B. Cooper's Reviews > Winter Loon

Winter Loon by Susan Bernhard

Ah! This novel was so good, in a depressing and dark, kind of way; so much pain and misery packed into 336 pages… but my gosh, so well-written and deserving of 5 stars, here’s why-

Wes Ballot’s mom dies right at the beginning, and his father abandons him. He is sent to live with his mom’s cranky & unattached parents, shortly before he turns 16. Nothing about his life, his upbringing, or his family, is healthy or even close to normal. But, Wes manages to hold on… There’s a beautiful ‘coming of age/becoming a man, in his own right’ thread within the tapestry of family secrets, small-town prejudices, heartaches, and lies.

At one point, I thought the book was taking a turn that was far too “Right Wing/Political/Anti-Me-Too Movement for me, and I almost quit. I’m so glad I didn’t because it didn’t end up going that way, at all. Instead, Wes’ life unfolded in expected twists and turns of a boy his age, from his family’s background. I say “Expected” in a way NOT meant to mean predictable, but more like, when the story finally ended, everything made sense.

And that, to me, made it worth the read. To read someone’s sad story, but know they’ve survived and grown, is the kind of rich reward I enjoy from such novels… not an HEA, but, an “I’m O.K., after all,” ending. Well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter Loon.

Finished Reading