Michael Burge's Reviews > Nobody Told Me My Legs Don't Work: Journey of a Down Dog

Nobody Told Me My Legs Don't Work by Travis Yates

A gripping short memoir exploring how connections with animals can turn lives around.

Author Travis Yates documents the fallout of a devastating spinal-stroke prognosis for Keegan, the golden retriever he and his wife Renea own, one member of a beloved pack of other dogs and cats.

Readers will have their prejudice challenged on the notion of "fur babies". One of the best moments in the first few chapters comes when Yates asserts the rightful place of companion animals in his family's life. His brevity goes a long way to explaining this couple's dedication to rescuing animals from several dire medical and social situations, and why they don't just accept the outcome that Keegan is likely to never walk again.

This book takes an honest, self-effacing look at companion animal ownership, its emotional and financial impacts, and how dogs, cats and other pets exist in a symbiotic relationship with humans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nobody Told Me My Legs Don't Work.

Started Reading