T.B. Cooper's Reviews > The Hangman's Daughter

The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Pötzsch

Read 2 times

I enjoy a story that is easily immersive; one that I can’t wait to get back to when life calls me away. This was one of those stories, and here’s why…

Okay, so this book is based on some historical figures, which coincidentally are a part of the author’s ancestral lineage… *Extra points for the Coolness Factor. Anything to do with supposed witches & witch trials, I am instantly drawn to. All plot points and details were wrapped up nicely at the end, and conclusions and motives made sense.

The ONLY “complaint” I have with this novel, is the Title. Magdalena is the Hangman’s Daughter, but this story isn’t focused on her or specifically ABOUT her. She IS a largely main character, but so is her father, Jakob, and her somewhat love interest, Simon- the town “doctor’s” son. Along with a handful of other somewhat main & supporting characters, this novel’s cast is more than colorful. Each person adds to the main thread, which is that children are dying and/or missing, and this small Bavarian, mid-1600s village, thinks it’s the town’s midwife that’s responsible.

The story unfolds in 3rd person POV, as the trio I mentioned above, attempt to uncover the mystery and save the accused witch’s life. It’s a race against the angry mob, sinister unseen forces, and time, itself. And throughout the whole thing, I couldn’t help but get drawn in completely. With wise quotes and lines that read like poetry… (Example: “… rumor is like smoke. It will spread, it will seep through closed doors and latched shutters, and in the end, the whole town will smell of it.”), Mr. Pötzsch’s perfectly translated novel was an incredible joy to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hangman's Daughter.

Finished Reading
Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
May 6, 2018 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
May 6, 2018 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
April 14, 2019 – Shelved