Colleen's Reviews > A Man in Full

A Man in Full by Tom Wolfe

Feb 16, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: trash-readings

It's hard to know what exactly I think of this book, as I read the mind-blowing amount of detail it contains in only three weeks. Tom Wolfe is famous for his "hysterical realism" (as my philosophy professor puts it), and "A Man in Full" has all the sex, politics, race relations and intrigue you could ask for in this kind of a novel. I got caught up in wanting to finish it towards the end, which proves it wasn't a waste of time, but I was somewhat disappointed with my favorite character, Conrad, by the end. I suppose that has more to do with the fact that I am not 100% sold on Stoicism, as much as I value a lot of its philosophical input. There was almost no female perspective whatsoever in this novel, excluding the ex-wife who decides she'd be with someone she doesn't love just so she doesn't feel "invisible" to society. I felt the female characters were no more than objects, sex symbols, or vindicative gold diggers. The ending was somewhat of a deux ex machina. And the details just blew me away, from minute architectural terms to the exhaustive descriptions of dress. Still, it certainly is a change from the types of books I normally read... Can't say it would have caught my eye if it weren't for my class of Stoicism in Film and Literature.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Man in Full.

February 16, 2012 – Started Reading