Bill Garrison's Reviews > Fatal Convictions

Fatal Convictions by Randy Singer

Feb 16, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fatal Convictions.

Bill Garrison Randy Singer's FATAL CONVICTION has such grand ambition, and it mostly succeeds. This legal thriller can be enjoyed by anyone who is a Grisham fan, and you don't have to worry about the novel being to political or preachy.

Alex Madison is a part-time pastor of a small church, and a part-time ambulance chasing lawyer. Alex and partner Shannon Reese land the case of car accident victim Ghaniya Mobassar. Later, when her husband Khalid is charged with ordering the murder of a Muslim woman that converted to Christianity, and a man who was mentoring her, Alex agrees to take the case. There are times when Alex believes Khalid is guilty of ordering the murders, but he believes everyone deserves a second chance. Alex is also thrown for a loop whe Khalid's beautiful daughter Nara comes to the United States. Can he trust her? Can he get along with her? What will his partner and friend, the cute former gymnast Shannon, think?

This book is easily a four star book, maybe even five, if you judge it based on what it is there. However, I gave it three stars because I liked the book, but Singer introduces so many subjects and then fails to deal with them at all. By introducing a Christian pastor and having him take the case defending a Muslim, Singer has a perfect opportunity to address how American Christians should view Muslims. I felt like he dropped the ball, because even the main character Alex never had any reservations or doubts about Khalid's religion. He at times doubted Khalid's innocence, but it was never doubted in the larger picture of Khalid's religion.

Also, Singer struggles in developing the relationship between Alex and Shannon, two co-workers who may or may not be attracted to each other. The revelation in the epilogue feels like it wasn't earned.

I admit that I don't know what I should think about the people who visit the Mosque down the street. And, after reading this book, that feeling hasn't changed. I wish it would have, and I think it could have if Singer had gotten more political, and perhaps a bit more controversial. But, since he decided to stay away from that, he has instead written a lega thriller that is interesting, tense, and just as good as his other novels.

I may be off base for criticizing this book for what it isn't instead of praising it for what it is, but hopefully my review will let readers know what to expect regarding the clash of Christians and Muslims.