Tyson Adams's Reviews > Irredeemable Digital Omnibus, Volume 1

Irredeemable Digital Omnibus, Volume 1 by Mark Waid

"Why does everyone treat me like I'm a bomb about to go off?" He shouts unironically.

Irredeemable asks the question: What if Superman became evil? We watch the fall of the world's greatest superhero, the Plutonian, how his friends and fellow superheroes attempt to find a way to stop his rampage while dealing with their own problems of betrayal and hopelessness. And being a superhero comic, there are alternate dimensions, aliens, supervillains, myths become real, and the spirit realm for good measure.

I originally read this and the companion series Incorruptible in 2011-12, toward the end of their run. It was also one of the first comic series I bought in e-format. Originally, I found this take on superheroes to be far more interesting and rewarding than the sort of stories we usually see. The old Spiderman quote, "With great power comes great responsibility"* butts heads with "Absolute power corrupts absolutely" in this story to great effect.

Whenever I think of superheroes, I always think of this series.** Re-reading the series in one sitting made me appreciate more of the story. During my first read through, I thought segments of the series in the run-up to the final arc got bogged down in their own intricacy and lack of relevance to the main story. But this time, I appreciate their inclusion more, even if it did slow the pacing a bit.

If you like superhero stories, then this will probably be a refreshing shot in the arm.

* Although, this quote predates Spiderman by a couple of hundred years.

** And Garth Ennis' The Boys. I guess standard superhero stories just don't interest me the same way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Irredeemable Digital Omnibus, Volume 1.

April 14, 2019 – Started Reading