C.G. Drews's Reviews > Who Put This Song On?

Who Put This Song On? by Morgan  Parker

bookshelves: 4-star, contemporary, mental-illness, young-adult, read-2019

Oh this is the kind of book that just captured my heart. I'm just going to yell messy chaotic friendship groups and then cry on you because omg I LOVE these types of books. This one doesn't have a solid plot, it meanders and it's about depression and fitting in and the hopelessly overwhelm of feeling too much. It felt so so real. It was so so deeply good to read.

[depression]
Some books just get it, and this one 1000 % does. As someone who's had depression for (like Morgan) what feels like absolutely forever, it was just validating and therapeutic to read something so relatable. And this isn't a cure story. It isn't a book with all the answers. It's kind of just like: oh life undeniably sucks so much of the time and you just want out of your own head -- but you have to keep holding on and going on. It voices dark fears and it has gallows humour and it's incorrigibly messy. In the best possible way. A+ depression rep, that is all.

[life; raw and unfiltered]
Morgan was so easy to love (she would NOT believe it) and I adored how she was exploring so much of the world, of life, of feeling. She hates how much she feels, but gah, Morgan, overthinking is exhausting but it's also amazing to want to understand the world and to cut the bullshit and to just be honest and blunt and emotional. There's a lot of exploration on what it is to be Black, on microaggressions and on living in a mostly-white world.

[answers]
I admit. I particularly liked that it wasn't full of answers. It was just a collision of how things DON'T MAKE SENSE and so much of the world seems to be dancing to a script you didn't get. But it did feel slow to read just because there was no overarching plot.

[characters]
kind of don't care about anything WHEN I LOVE THE CHARACTER SO MUCH omgggg. Okay Morgan, I have gushed about already. I adored her. She's self-proclaimed emo, is obsessed with music and odd fashion compilations, and she is drowning in depression and isolation. She does have friends though: Meg, who is a bit too skinny and grey and can be hyper and also hides things. James, who is coming out as gay and dramatic and messy and so soft. Then there's David who... I mean, I didn't like him. (LOL SORRY) (view spoiler) I just, my heart clenches with happiness when I read about friendship groups that I just adore.

[religion]
okay admittedly, I struggle with books with a very religious focus. But this is more like: Morgan goes to this uber religious school, so it's her upbringing and background. But she questions things and forms her own opinions and refuses to be spoon fed stuff that doesn't make sense. There's just a lot of maddening christian culture in here, but it was less so by the end.

...You know? I just wanted to keep reading this book and I kept thinking about it every time I put it down. Sign of an excellent novel. Messy friendships and kids with cracks in them and fights to be heard and existential crises and endless conversations about music -- I did so love this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who Put This Song On?.

April 14, 2019 – Shelved