Yolanda Sfetsos's Reviews > Halloween Fiend

Halloween Fiend by C.V. Hunt

it was ok
bookshelves: kindle, horror

I've had this book on my Paperwhite for months, but I put it aside on purpose so I could read it this Halloween. And I love that cover. 🎃

Well, Halloween is here!

The town of Strang is mostly abandoned but still has a small population. Every October, Halloween stalks the streets nightly and to keep it happy, the townsfolk leave small animals as treats.

For Barry, this year's a little different, he's much too curious not to stare out the window. And then the carnival comes around the same time as the town's freaky tradition...

Um. I hate to say it, but this didn't work for me. The writing style was nice, but that wasn't the issue. I found the characters too dull, the slow-burn pace lacked the tension to keep my focus, and I wasn't invested.

I didn't like Barry. Or any of the other characters, to be honest. Even Halloween was meh.

It's a shame that I didn't enjoy this novella because I usually love small-town stories featuring dark and weird secrets. I thought I would at least find it fun, but I didn't. My attention kept wandering and I had to keep re-reading what I'd missed. There was no real Halloween-type atmosphere, either. Even the ending didn't excite me.

Oh well. It happens.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halloween Fiend.

April 13, 2019 – Shelved