Judy's Reviews > The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek

The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson

This book broke my heart, twisted it, stomped on it, and then uplifted it. I cried and raged as I read it. It is an emotional hotbed kind of read dealing with extreme poverty and hardship, discrimination, and perseverance.

Cussy Mary Carter is a "Blue" (the last female of the blue-skinned people of Kentucky) who lives with her father (a "Blue" coal miner) and who works for Roosevelt's WPA Pack Horse Library Project. She delivers books to isolated mountain people. These people are so poor some are dying of starvation but they are also starving for books and news. Cussy is devoted to the people on her route and tries to bring each one something special to read. She is also devoted to spreading literacy. Her perseverance through hardship proved her a strong and courageous girl.

One of my very best reads so far this year. My thanks to Kim Michele Richardson and Sourcebooks Landmark through Netgalley for an advance copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek.

April 12, 2019 – Started Reading
April 12, 2019 – Shelved
April 13, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

Angela M Judy , so glad to know you loved this . Looking forward to it .

Judy Angela M wrote: "Judy , so glad to know you loved this . Looking forward to it ."

You're going to love it Angela!

Karen Kay Good book

Judy Karen Kay wrote: "Good book"

Glad you liked it too Karen

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Awesome review,Judy! So glad you enjoyed it. It looks so good. I love the title and the bookcover.

Judy Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* wrote: "Awesome review,Judy! So glad you enjoyed it. It looks so good. I love the title and the bookcover."
Thank! You would like it Mary Beth.

Judy Thanks Swaroop!

Karen Great review Judy! I loved this one too!

Judy Karen wrote: "Great review Judy! I loved this one too!"

Thanks Karen. Glad you loved it too!