Jayme Moreno's Reviews > The Wrythe and the Reckoning

The Wrythe and the Reckoning by Yvonthia Meredith Leland

did not like it
bookshelves: dnf, arc, read-in-2019

Netgalley Synopsis
The Wrythe and the Reckoning is an avant-garde nostalgic story that will have you not only falling in love with the characters, but you’ll also gain an understanding of their individual perspectives on life. This fantasy tale is sure to be enjoyed by readers of all ages, from teens to older adults. In the mid-1800s, Lina and her family move from their small New Hampshire village to an industrial city in Massachusetts. During this time, it is said that a bizarre, malevolent human-like monster is lurking about in the forests of the New England territory. In addition, Lina is an independent thinker. She's determined to make something of herself and to live her life the way that she wants to. Lina must face and overcome the difficult challenges surrounding her society in order to live her ideal life, all while avoiding being murdered by the so-called human-monster. 'The Wrythe and the Reckoning’ is an epic urban fantasy tale of love, courage, bravery, freedom, and friendship

The Wrythe and the Reckoning follows Lina and her family as they move from their small-town farm to the big city of Massechusetts. The story is told through Lina’s perspective and she is not cut from the same cloth as other women of her time, meaning she does not want to get married, she wants to work and supports the women’s rights movement.

I honestly had a very hard time getting into this story from the beginning. It was very slow paced and describes everything…and I mean everyythingggg. All of this could have been condensed and I would have been much happier. I also didn’t think this book needed to be as long as it really was. I never really felt like anything was happening in the story to move along, there was quite a bit of day-to-day things that were told, but we never got to the introduction of the “monster,” which is what intrigued me in the first place to read this story. The so called “monster” isn’t brought up until the near end of the story when it should have occurred much sooner. I seriously was considering DNFing this book but didn’t because I was given this book by NetGalley and if it wasn’t for the obligation, I would have done so. It was not my cup of tea.

ARC provided by Reverie Ardent Publishing via NetGalley

Blog |Instagram |Twitter

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wrythe and the Reckoning.

March 19, 2019 – Started Reading
April 3, 2019 – Finished Reading
April 12, 2019 – Shelved
April 12, 2019 – Shelved as: dnf
April 12, 2019 – Shelved as: arc
December 19, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2019

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Maura (new) - added it

Maura Bright Yvonthia wrote: "This review was in regards to the ARC version of the novel, which was on NetGalley (a rough draft of the book). There's an official publication of the novel, recently published. Thank you for your ..."

Which the reviewer stated as much, twice, inside their own review. Can't help yourself, can you?

Kayla Ware Why on earth would someone post a rough draft on NetGalley for reviews? ARCs should never be rough drafts.

message 3: by Vivienne (new) - added it

Vivienne Kayla - the author clearly doesn’t understand what an ARC is or how NetGalley functions.

message 4: by John (new)

John Lynch Maybe don’t allow reviewers to obtain arcs of the book if it’s not indicative of the product you want reviewed?