Kristian Kilgore's Reviews > When Heaven Invades Earth Devotional & Journal

When Heaven Invades Earth Devotional & Journal by Bill Johnson

Valuable ideas, sometimes a bit abstract

Bill Johnson is not for everyone. He is charismatic in his theology, and some people are going to disagree out of hand with many of the things that he says. Even for a Pentecostal like myself, there are some things that he says that cause me to push back a bit.

However, there are many things in this devotional book that are extremely valuable for perspective and inspiration. There is an undercurrent in the work, a thread of thought throughout all of the entries, that essentially suggests we are living far below the standard God called the church to. Where Johnson’s charismatic roots come into play concerning that idea is seen in his focus on miracles and spiritual gifts as the evidence of the church’s anemic standards. He does not work against the idea of purity in behavior or righteous living, he seems to value those things highly, but he adds that element of spiritual power and demonstration as God‘s intention and plan for the modern church. He does not adopt a “hunker down” mentality for the church in the last days. Instead, he seems to suggest that the church is going to be allotted, and has been allotted, more power and more gifting because of the darkness of the days in which we live.

I was challenged by this devotional in a good way, and his interpretation of scripture was unique - especially when compared to the Calvinist and mainline writers that most of us usually read or hear from. It is not an enormous time investment. Less than five minutes a day gets you through the 40 days of this devotional. But it does spawn much prayer. Some prayer because the content is convicting and there is a need for response in prayer. Other prayer is incited by working through some of the theological implications of Johnson’s interpretations. I found myself frequently praying for wisdom and insight after reading these entries.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Heaven Invades Earth Devotional & Journal.

April 12, 2019 – Started Reading