Nawnee's Reviews > Brave Fish: Identity, Love, Faith

Feb 15, 2012

bookshelves: freebie-books, books-that-were-just-okay
Recommended to Nawnee by: The author

Brave Fish Identity, Love, Faith by Vincent H. Chough Vincent H. Chough

I wasn't sure what to think when I first received this book, I'm not into biographies and I wasn't sure what the tone of this one would be. The writing in this book is so descriptive, it really makes it so you can picture what he's talking about, this helped me more engrossed in the book.
It starts out with the author talking about his high school years and about what it's like falling in love as a teenager, the heart ache and the insecurities that comes with just being a teenager.
He then gets into his experience as a doctor, this wasn't a direction I was expecting. He put in all the years for the schooling, hard and determination that you know goes along with becoming a doctor. This outcome was not what I expected. His internal struggle and thoughts about his patients were really disturbing to read. For someone that has a lot of medical problems I'm not sure I ever wanted to know what a doctor is thinking when they are sitting across from you. He does manage to redeem himself in my eyes when he gets into how he felt about writing the living will's and death certificates.
After this we are at the point where he is leaving the USA to live in Argentina. There's stuff about that brings you back to his teenage years but what really got me was His over all spiritual conversion is at the climax of the book. That part was awesome, and described beautifully. It's a great story and would also be good for helping people struggling with an addiction.
I did really enjoy his particular writing style it's graphic, intense, kind of in your face. He forces you to see his world with the words he's chosen to paint with and it's descriptive, gritty and sometimes raw. Over all I very much liked this book which I wasn't expecting at all. Here's an expert that I liked from the book.

"It is approaching autumn again. The summer warmth still drips from brilliant blue skies, and whispers of a chilled breeze brush mild evenings. The January humidity graciously melts away into cool winter air."
Chough, Vincent H (2011-12-19). Brave Fish: Identity, Love, Faith

This was a free book given to me by the author for a fair review. Thanks for the great read :)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave Fish.