Sara Mul's Reviews > The Invisible Orientation: An Introduction to Asexuality

The Invisible Orientation by Julie Sondra Decker

89195134

bookshelves: nonfiction

I certainly needed this book when I was younger because wow, did I have some questions and concerns. Finding out pretty late in my teens about asexuality was life-changing. This book would have been all the information I ever needed to know and understand what was going on with my body, something that every person should understand about themselves.

It contains information all about asexuality, gray-asexuality, demisexuality, and pretty much anything to do with asexuality. The surprising part was seeing it also explain every single romantic orientation, and while I thought I knew a lot, I learned much more from this. Decker is also an asexual, which makes me pretty happy to know the information will probably be will researched and understood (spoiler alert: it is). Decker also goes into detail about misconceptions on asexuality, and I sincerely connected with many of those, including the exclusion from LGBTQIA+ spaces by those who invalidate asexuality as a whole or cisgender heteroromantic/hetero-passing asexuals.

I really do hope that more literature and media on asexuality comes out, but Decker absolutely nails everything you'd need to know about it (at least as a starting point if you want to do your own research). I cannot recommend this book enough if you want to learn more about asexuality.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Invisible Orientation.

April 11, 2019 – Started Reading
April 11, 2019 – Shelved
April 11, 2019 – Shelved as: nonfiction
April 16, 2019 –
page 37
April 18, 2019 –
page 54
25.0% "This was the kind of literature I desperately needed in high school. Sexuality is confusing as heck, and to realize I was not "broken" in my twenties was both relieving and exhausting. I've spent so much time in my life so far thinking something was wrong with me. I hope the next generation has more widely spread and well researched information like this in the future to prevent them from feeling what I felt."
April 27, 2019 – Finished Reading