Cassie-la's Reviews > The Kingdom

The Kingdom by Jess Rothenberg

bookshelves: 2019-reads

Set in a Disney World-esque fantasy land in the near future, The Kingdom goes full on Westworld with its robotic Fantasists (read: beautiful women engineered to play the part of the park's princesses). With a hint of Jurassic Park thrown in for good measure, the corporate owned Kingdom appears altruistic to the outside world, resurrecting extinct species and providing children and adults with an immersive escape from the reality of global warming. However, not everything is as it seems, especially when Fantasist Ana is arrested and put on trial for the murder of park employee Owen. Compulsively readable, The Kingdom is a fast-paced thrill ride that bounces back and forth from present day (told through court transcripts and police interviews) to the months before Owen's demise.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kingdom.

April 11, 2019 – Shelved
April 11, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
May 25, 2019 – Started Reading
May 25, 2019 –
6.0% "I am so here for this premise."
May 27, 2019 –
19.0% "Oh no, I can’t stop reading!"
May 27, 2019 –
34.0% "I feel like the blurb missed the mark on saying this book is essentially Westworld, but set in a Disney-esque fantasy land."
54.0% "Noooooo!"
May 28, 2019 –
79.0% "Omg, she said the thing. She said the Westworld thing (which yes, is itself a Shakespeare quote, but STILL)."
May 28, 2019 –
80.0% "“I realize that I am not weak. They only taught me to believe that I was.”"
May 28, 2019 –
84.0% "How did it take this long to mention the dinosaurs!?!"
May 28, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-reads