Rukky's Reviews > Empire of Storms

Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas

bookshelves: fantasy, mystery-thriller-suspense, recommended-by-a-friend, assassin, borrowed-library, dark, ebook, politcial, romance
Recommended to Rukky by: Mary S. R.

It's a 4.5 really. Eh. I'll round it up.

So this totally went from YA, to not-YA at all. Lol. There's some extra things going on in case you want to skip like I did.

So. This book. Aelin. Ashryver. Galathynius. This was such a roller coaster, and I really liked it.

We still have all these awesome and amazing women, men, females, and males who are doing everything to protect Aelin and also fight to win this war. I'm glad everyone's paths have crossed, and I can't wait to see what happens in the final book.

A few things that took that .5 away. All the Fae males are so similar. It's kind of annoying. They act the exact same way and it's repetitive. Lorcan reminded me so much of Rowan and Aelin when he was with Elide. They all have the same territorial Fae nonsense (and that itself happened so much, it's again still annoying. Aelin has proved time and time again that she can handle herself, but they still can't get that territorial nonsense under control). Which I guess is in their nature, but it was still a little repetitively annoying.

Dorian was pretty much, kind of nonexistent in this book? It's like he's an afterthought. Sometimes I forgot he was even there. He just sits and lets Aelin and the others handle everything, and that was super annoying. But thanks to The One Who Forced Me To Read This Series, I've come to understand that it was because of everything that has happened to him. He hasn't had a chance to heal. It's still sad and I wish he had someone to talk to. (view spoiler)

Manon had an amazing arc, and I loved it, and what happens later was awesome. All the secrets revealed about her, and her and Dorian, it was all great. I'm glad they're all together now.

I felt so bad for Lorcan at the end. I really did. He changed through the book, much like Rowan did, and I'm so glad for that, but still that ending was horrible.

I still love the rest of the characters so much. Elide, Lysandra, Aedion, Rowan, Fenrys, and Gavriel!!! Fenrys and Gavriel are awesome, and I loved their addition to the group.

Aelin! Well. I really want to hate her, but I still love her. That ending Aelin!!! I can't believe that happened. And that she knew. She did so much for them, she gave them a chance and she let that happen to her. So much happened in that ending, and it's a lot to process, but I never saw that coming.

Maeve. She's so fascinating. I really want to know what happened to her, what made her what she is now. But I hate her. Oh I really really really hate her. But you've got to wonder what made her a Dark Queen and why she's doing all this.

The ending you guys. Wow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire of Storms.

April 11, 2019 – Shelved
January 20, 2020 – Shelved as: ebook
January 20, 2020 – Shelved as: politcial
January 20, 2020 – Shelved as: romance
January 20, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

Mary S. R. K,

1) why is Dorian's mental state and quietness still one of the reasons it lost half a star 😐 we talked about this, how it was actually written accurately and all and wasn't an afterthought????

2) well we discussed the rest at LENGTH so there's nothing for me to say other than OMG YES THAT ENDING again.

3) and oh I just realised you're gonna have a proper shock in Kingdom of Ash about Maeve. You'll get your answer all right.

Rukky Mary wrote: "K,

..."

1) Well, that's how I felt, and I know we've talked it out, but Idk, it's not really part of the reasons? But it is? That makes no sense? But okay. It did annoy me. and my rating reflects that?

2) YES. Wow is the only way to respond to it.

3) A shock? Hmm. We'll see. But yeah. I'm so going to look forward to that.

Mary S. R. 1) I will never understand how unreasonable feelings can guide one person 🤔

3) haha, it'll actually be in Tower of Dawn, now that I think about it 😁

Rukky 1) Trust me. I've tried to understand. It makes no sense. It just has no laws and no rules and it makes no sense.

2) I should probably put ToD on hold, now that I think about it.

Mary S. R. There must be a reason. Because it doesn't happen for me 🤔

Yes do that 😂

Rukky Well, as you can tell from my message, I tried to explain it, but it's that kind of thing that you can't really explain? Like it's just this stubborn part of me that wants to cling onto it anyway? And so my rating has to reflect that? Cause it's reflecting me?? I think? And it never happens to you because you are perfectly squared in your ways and you are so logical to the point that sometimes you're illogically logical.

That made no sense. I don't care. It sounded nice while I typed it.

Mary S. R. 😂😂😂😂😂 yes I get it now. I might not be able to feel it, that succumbing to stubbornness, but I understand your thought process.

Rukky Mary wrote: "😂😂😂😂😂 yes I get it now. I might not be able to feel it, that succumbing to stubbornness, but I understand your thought process."

That sounds vaguely like an insult 🤨

Mary S. R. It can't be an insult if it's the bare truth 🤷🏻‍♀️

Rukky Mary wrote: "It can't be an insult if it's the bare truth 🤷🏻‍♀️"

It can be. So you're agreeing that it is an insult.

message 11: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary S. R. I'm saying it's NOT an insult, because you just said it's stubbornness yourself, and I repeated what you said. How's that an insult.

Rukky I don't know why you put up with me sometimes 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️ Apologies. 5:34 pm me is quite ashamed of 8 o'clock me.

message 13: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary S. R. Tell me about it 🤦🏻‍♀️ *sigh* srsly, why do I?

Rukky God only knows. but for real, I'm beyond petty sometimes.

message 15: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary S. R. I hope you're not waiting for me to contradict you because you totally ARE that.

Rukky 😂😂😂🤦🏽‍♀️ Sheesh. Thanks. But I am.

message 17: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary S. R. 😂 just clearing the air

Rukky Great. There was a nasty smell.

message 19: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary S. R. Yup, of you being petty.

Rukky Let's not succumb to this. It's alright. We've cleared the air. Ciao.

message 21: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary S. R. Okay. Goodday.