Rukky's Reviews > Queen of Shadows

Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas

bookshelves: fantasy, amazing, favorites, assassin, best-of-2020, ebook, dark, romance, ya
Recommended to Rukky by: Mary S. R.

I'm not sure whether this is a 4 or a 5. So 4.5 it is rounded up.

There are so many amazing and gloriously strong women in this series, it's AMAZING. Manon, Asterin, even Sorrel, Aelin, Lysandra, Nehemia, Nesryn, Elide, Kaltain! It's so beautiful and amazing seeing so many of them still fighting, still being strong even after everything that's happened to them. It feels me with so much glee and happiness and excitement.

Aedion and Rowan being so territorial made my day. I'm glad that they're friends and brothers though. They both deserve someone who can be their friend.

Dorian's parts broke my heart, and it was so painful watching him despair, watching him wish that Aelin had killed him. That was so so sad.

Manon and Elide were perfect, and I love the witches even more now. Manon's fight with Aelin was epic, and I loved it, and the fact that Aelin still saved her life anyway gave me so much hope. I want those two to be friends so badly.

The ending. I actually didn't think it would work.(view spoiler)

Oh and Chaol!!! He annoyed me so. much. and I did want to punch him or scream at him a couple hundred times, but again, that ending was magnificent and I'm so happy with how everything turned out.

Thankfully, I have the next book, so I'm going to get started with that soon. But overall, I'm seriously happy with how this book went.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen of Shadows.

April 11, 2019 – Shelved
April 11, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
April 18, 2019 – Shelved as: fantasy
January 3, 2020 – Started Reading
January 7, 2020 –
11.0% "I am absolutely freaking annoyed at Lord Chaol Westfall for his sheer audacity and stupidity. How dare he say that to Aelin?? How dare he call her unpredictable and not trust her, when she would sacrifice herself to protect him and Dorian? He ran away and left Dorian, yet he blames her??? He blames her for not bringing back an army??? What, is he deaf???? Did he not hear what she told him?"
January 12, 2020 –
46.0% "Hah! Rowan and Aedion being so territorial is hilarious! And I like Nesryn and Lysandra, and I'm glad they're Aelin's friends now. Chaol is still annoying the living daylights out of me, but at least there aren't too many chapters from his POV.

The witches are still deadly awesome, and I really like Elide. Honestly, I wish that Manon would destroy Morath and whatever is being made there. It would do a lot of good."
January 12, 2020 –
78.0% "That fight was incredible. Incredible!!! I'm so glad that Aelin saved Manon. Those two are going to destroy the world together. It's amazing that this series has such powerful and amazing women.

Asterin. Asterin. I can't believe she's suffered and hid this for so long. I can't believe the cruelty she's survived. The cruelty that everyone in this book has survived."
January 12, 2020 – Finished Reading
January 13, 2020 – Shelved as: ebook
January 13, 2020 – Shelved as: dark
January 13, 2020 – Shelved as: romance
January 13, 2020 – Shelved as: ya

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

Mary S. R. OMGGG YASSS I'M GONNA DIE 😭😭😭 SEE HOW THEY KEEP GETTING BETTER???????

Also, why are you no longer adding me as the person who recommended the books?? Haa??? Haaaa??

Rukky Don't die on me... I KNOW they do keep getting better!! It's such a surprise

Hehehe 😁😎😎

Mary S. R. Re-assessing your “HoF is gonna be my fave book in the series” statement yet?

Also, WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER BOOKS. I take credit for all of them 😁

Rukky Hmph. Maybe this was a little better. Or maybe not. I'm not entirely sure yet 😒

Whatevs. I'll do it later 😋

Mary S. R. Ofc it was. The scheming, the planning, the epic climax, the female friendship, the complicated character relationships!

Are you the stubborn little teenager again? 😂

Rukky And HoF had Aelin become the person she was meant to be which was equally powerful and amazing. And she also met Rowan. And Maeve too!! And MANON! The fact that I was introduced to the witches in HoF is enough for me to love that more than this really lol

Yeah, and if I am??

Mary S. R. But here we really start to see Manon and the witches' character grow. And start interfering. And I love how deeper even Rowan and Aelin's understanding runs in this book. It's also a very important, painful, and rarely-paid-attention-to-by-authors stage in Chaol's character development—when he's starting to see his mistakes and, just like real human being, is fighting with himself and everyone else to avoid admitting it.
Also, Arobynn! I love how we got to know his wickedness truly.

🙄 SMH

Rukky Mary wrote: "But here we really start to see Manon and the witches' character grow. And start interfering. And I love how deeper even Rowan and Aelin's understanding runs in this book. It's also a very importan..."

True true true, and thank you for reminding me of Arobynn, because he totally slipped my mind. AROBYNN. I hate him, but I also have a few issues with his character. He's only in his THIRTIES???? I was expecting a 45, 50 year old guy. I mean, he's the King of Assassins etc, so yeah?? Also, (view spoiler)

SMH what??

message 9: by Mary (last edited Jan 15, 2020 05:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary S. R. Rukky wrote: "True true true, and thank you for reminding me of Arobynn, because he totally slipped my mind. AROBYNN. I hate him, but I also have a few issues with his character. He's only in his THIR..."

What's wrong with him being 35 or sth. He calls himself the King of Assassins, it's not like anyone outside of Adarlan cares for that 🙄 you'll see that later. But still, you can achieve much by 35, I don't see the problem??? He's cunning and vicious and that's all one needs.

(view spoiler)

One thing I also forgot to tell you is that SJM calls everyone in her book handsome or beautiful, and when she was asked about it she said that because she believes everyone is beautiful so she uses that word often. I like her thinking.

It speaks for itself 😁

Rukky Hmm. Now that I'm actually thinking about it, 30 isn't that young. Idk why, it just strikes me as young. Which it is, but in this case it seems really young lol. But you're right. Aelin could be Queen of Assassins right now.

(view spoiler)

Aww, that's really sweet. That is so awesome. Ok, I don't have much of a problem with it anymore.

You've become me now 🙄

may ❀ YAYYYYY I'M SO HAPPY THAT YOU'RE LOVING THIS SERIES!!! it does start off rough and definitely gets better. i knoww chaol's character got kinda ruined but i will defend my baby no matter what (and his book, tower of dawn is so phenomenal, its just perfect) i love all these characters and i feel so attached to them and im glad youre enjoying it too!!!

can't wait to hear your thoughts on the next books!

message 12: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary S. R. Rukky wrote: "Hmm. Now that I'm actually thinking about it, 30 isn't that young. Idk why, it just strikes me as young. Which it is, but in this case it seems really young lol. But you're right. Aelin could be Qu..."

Do remember that if you'd read in the publication order as you were supposed to, you'd have read The Assassin's Blade right before Queen of Shadows and would've gotten plenty of Arobynn to go around.

I'm giving you a taste of your own medicine 😋

Rukky Mary wrote: "Rukky wrote: "Hmm. Now that I'm actually thinking about it, 30 isn't that young. Idk why, it just strikes me as young. Which it is, but in this case it seems really young lol. But you're right. Ael..."

Yeah yeah, fine.

It's kind of cool. But out of character.

Rukky may ❀ wrote: "YAYYYYY I'M SO HAPPY THAT YOU'RE LOVING THIS SERIES!!! it does start off rough and definitely gets better. i knoww chaol's character got kinda ruined but i will defend my baby no matter what (and h..."

I'm so happy too! I was totally expecting to hate-read it, but it's surprising me! I can't wait to get to Tower of Dawn! This book totally ruined him for me. But hey, we got Rowan and Aedion, and Lysandra, and all these amazing fabulous women and I'm so so happy 💖

message 15: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary S. R. Rukky wrote: "It's kind of cool. But out of character."

Rukky Mary wrote: "Rukky wrote: "It's kind of cool. But out of character."

Nothing is out if character for me. I contain multitudes. I am more than one person, with infinite personalities 😁😂😂😂😂"

Heheh of course you are.