Rukky's Reviews > Heir of Fire

Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
89338269
's review

really liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, favorites, recommended-by-a-friend, assassin, borrowed-library, dark, ebook, ya

This was good. Super good. You know how usually the first book in a series is great, and then the rest detoriates from there? Well it's the opposite with TOG.

I love that Celaena found herself and who she is in this book. I love that she has Rowan as her friend. I love that she became the Queen that she should be. The battles were awesome, and honestly, I loved everything from Celaena or Rowan's point of view.

I like how the rebel movement is growing in Rifthold, and that Chaol finally picked a side. It was horrible watching him be so torn and not sure what he wanted to do, and whose side he was on. However, I'll admit, I didn't really like it when the chapters switched to him or Dorian, or Aedion. It was interesting, but I was a little bored? with them.

THE WITCHES. I love those witches so much. They are horrible. They are cruel. They are bloodthirsty monsters, but I seriously loved their part of the story. Manon is incredible, Asterin is incredible (she reminded me of Celaena though...), every chapter with them was incredible. I definitely want to know more about them, and what happens.

The ending was good. (view spoiler)

Rowan is the grumpiest ray of sunshine ever. It makes no sense but it does. I loved their silent screaming matches and how he cared for Celaena so much. The showdown with Maeve was equally awesome, and I now truly hate her as well.

It's as if every single King/Queen in the world is evil or not wanting to help. Except for the King and Queen of Ellewye, Celaena, Aedion, Ren, Chaol, and Dorian, everyone else has either turned their backs, or is focusing on themselves, or is pure evil like Maeve and the King.

11 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heir of Fire.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

April 11, 2019 – Shelved
April 11, 2019 – Shelved as: to-read
April 18, 2019 – Shelved as: fantasy
December 31, 2019 – Started Reading
January 3, 2020 –
71.0% "I love Emrys and Luca. Rowan is a very interesting guy, and I really like him. When he was fussing over Celaena 😍 though i don't ship them

I feel bad for Chaol though. He hasn't decided, he's in denial, and it's horrible watching him spiral like this. I wish somebody would help him, clear his head, figure out where his loyalty lies.

I also hate that his friendship with Dorian has been shattered for good."
January 3, 2020 –
87.0% "I'm honestly really proud of Celaena. Really really proud. Which I can't believe I'm saying but yeah, I'm proud.

Also, this is probably going to be my favorite book out of the whole series."
January 3, 2020 – Shelved as: favorites
January 3, 2020 – Shelved as: recommended-by-a-friend
January 3, 2020 – Shelved as: assassin
January 3, 2020 – Shelved as: borrowed-library
January 3, 2020 – Shelved as: dark
January 3, 2020 – Shelved as: ebook
January 3, 2020 – Shelved as: ya
January 3, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

Mary S. R. YASSS I SOOO AGREEEE 😍😭 about everything, the witches, Rowan's cute grumpiness, their heartwrenching friendship, everything! I even agree about sometimes being bored by Chaol's chapters. That's why it's 4.5 for me and not 5. But I still decided I'd round it up because that character and relationship development was absolutely remarkable and honestly one of the best I've read. Those are seriously the strong points of the series and SJM's books in general.


Rukky Mary wrote: "YASSS I SOOO AGREEEE 😍😭 about everything, the witches, Rowan's cute grumpiness, their heartwrenching friendship, everything! I even agree about sometimes being bored by Chaol's chapters. That's why..."

I'm glad he finally decided!!! I'm so glad. And I hope he moves on. It's heartbreaking seeing him still missing Celaena so much. I seriously feel for him.

THE WITCHESSS. Now I see why you love them. MANON???? Abraxos?? They were bloody brilliant!! Absolutely brilliants! I loved it! (view spoiler)

I wish Iskra had been punished super severely.


Mary S. R. Oh you just wait, you're gonna be dead by the end of this series...

BTW I'm starting the series with Anna and Xandra on Saturday 😍 I'm sooo bleeding excited 😭


Rukky I want to live still...but okay 😂 I shall embrace that death. If I die. I'll try not to.

Hope you love it all over again 💜 I seriously need some awesome updates from you.


message 5: by the owl (last edited Jan 03, 2020 12:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

the owl Ahhhh I feel like doing a reread now 😭😭
MANON BLACKBEAK 😍😭😍

Eh, I don't love Rowan but he's a nice guy 😏. But I don't love him 🙈. Imo, he'll never live up to Chaol and that's that 😂

What happened to Dorian should've never happened to anyone. But my friend and I were discussing this book and we both felt like Sorcha was used as a plot device and as sweet as she was, everything felt forced and instant. Okay, maybe not so forced, but it was a bit convenient 🤷‍♀️


Mary S. R. Rukky wrote: "I want to live still...but okay 😂 I shall embrace that death. If I die. I'll try not to.

Hope you love it all over again 💜 I seriously need some awesome updates from you."


Oh I I will. I also have some update ideas in mind that are really fun 😁


Rukky the owl wrote: "Ahhhh I feel like doing a reread now 😭😭
MANON BLACKBEAK 😍😭😍

Eh, I don't love Rowan but he's a nice guy 😏. But I don't love him 🙈. Imo, he'll never live up to Chaol and that's that 😂

What happened..."


Haha. YES MANON. She terrifies me. But I LOVE her. I really just do!! There's something so mesmerizing about her and the Thirteen, and I enjoyed their part of the story so so much.

He really is nice. And sweet. And territorial. He reminds me of a lion or a wolf who constantly gets up on the wrong side of the bed 😂😂 Well...I think he does live up to Chaol 👀 I mean come on. He's even kind of better than him??

But I don't think I'd fancy a Celaena + Rowan #Celawan? #Rowaena? Idk, but I don't think I'd fancy them becoming a ~thing~. It's better that they just stay friends.

For real it should not. And to think the King did to his own son. It's unbelieveable. He's a monster through and through. How his wife stands him is beyond me. Or maybe she doesn't even see him at all unless it's some state function.

Sorscha is idk. Maybe? I mean, there had to be some reason to make the King figure out they were trying to lead a rebellion, but I genuinely wanted Dorian to be happy with her. (view spoiler) But yeah. It might be rather convenient lol


Rukky Mary wrote: "Rukky wrote: "I want to live still...but okay 😂 I shall embrace that death. If I die. I'll try not to.

Hope you love it all over again 💜 I seriously need some awesome updates from you."

Oh I I wi..."


Rowan reminds me of Sazed from Mistborn!!! YES, they are so similar!! Though Sazed is a lot more patient, and a whole lot more kind than Rowan lol

Hurry up with it!! I can't wait!!


Mary S. R. Rukky wrote: "Rowan reminds me of Sazed from Mistborn!!! YES, they are so similar!! Though Sazed is a lot more patient, and a whole lot more kind than Rowan lol"

How in the WORLD did you make that connection!?!??? I just don't see it. Srsly. I mean, sure in the understanding department they are similar, but that's about it?? I guess they're both also caring? And loyal? But srsly, that's IT. And there's also their search for a place to belong. Hmmm. Okay, maybe you have a point...

Rukky wrote: "Well...I think he does live up to Chaol 👀 I mean come on. He's even kind of better than him??

But I don't think I'd fancy a Celaena + Rowan #Celawan? #Rowaena? Idk, but I don't think I'd fancy them becoming a ~thing~. It's better that they just stay friends."


For the first part, I literally wanna kiss you.

For the second part, I advise you to wait and see the magic SJM pulls.


message 10: by Rukky (last edited Jan 03, 2020 01:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rukky Mary wrote: "How in the WORLD did you make that connection!?!??? I just don't see it. Srsly. I mean, sure in the understanding department they are similar, but that's about it?? I guess they're both also caring? And loyal? But srsly, that's IT. And there's also their search for a place to belong. Hmmm. Okay, maybe you have a point..."

Mary. I always have a point. And I'm nearly always right notreallybutwhatevs

UM HELLO! Let's start with the tattoos okay? They both have it. Second, they are the keepers and protectors of their respective MCs. Aka Celaena and Vin. Third of all, they both help find them figure out who they are/where they belong. Fourthly, they both are wise, and old. Fifthly, they understand so much. They know so much. Years, centuries, MILLINEAS worth of info is stored in their immense minds. Sixthly, HOW DO YOU NOT SEE THE CONNECTION???

It's right there. Screaming. The also both figure out where they belong through-out the story. They are loyal. Fierce. Protective. Rowan's more aggressive, but they are one and the same Mary.

Oh. And they are kind of rare-ish (Fae isn't as scarce as Sazed's kind (my brain is failing me, I don't remember what they are called)), and physically they are also kind of similar too.

I always have a point.

Mary wrote: "For the first part, I literally wanna kiss you.

For the second part, I advise you to wait and see the magic SJM pulls."


*raised eyebrows* Oh, really?? That would be nice. I've got to add that to the endless list of hugs and kisses that you owe me. And everyone else.

Okay. I feel like it is spelled out in the stars that something more will happen. But right now, I love their friendship.


the owl Manon's parts get better and better. You will be living for it by the end of the EoS 😭😭😍😍(coz that’s as far as I am)

Better than Chaol? No ways! I mean, he was so abusive at the beginning and I get that it's meant to be enemies-to-lovers but idk. Plus he gets wayyy too possessive and territorial and all that male Fae stuff, yeah it gets on my nervessss 😩. But he grew on me after a while and I do like him. A lot 😄💛. But he’ll never be my ideal ship for Calaena 🤷‍♀️

DO YOU REALLY EXPECT CALAENA NOT TO FALL IN LOVE WITH ROWAN?????? YOU’VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME???? 😭😭😭😂😂😂

The king is a pile of piffle! 🤢

I also felt really happy for Dorian. He deserved every bit of happiness after everything. He’s such a cinnamon roll princeling 😭💕✨

OMG I forgot about the whole collar thing. That was horrid!!!! 😣😣


message 12: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary S. R. Rukky wrote: "Mary. I always have a point. And I'm nearly always right notreallybutwhatevs"

😂😂😂 Yeah okay, for ONCE you had a point.

Rukky wrote: "*raised eyebrows* Oh, really?? That would be nice. I've got to add that to the endless list of hugs and kisses that you owe me. And everyone else."

Yeah do that. I'll pay up one day when I meet you 😊


message 13: by Rukky (last edited Jan 04, 2020 05:32PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rukky the owl wrote: "Manon's parts get better and better. You will be living for it by the end of the EoS 😭😭😍😍(coz that’s as far as I am)

Better than Chaol? No ways! I mean, he was so abusive at the beginning and I ge..."


I am working on finishing this because I need so much more Manon.

Hmm, I guess it was kind of abusive. But not really you know? He was strict, he was harsh, and he was unforgiving. Doesn't really make him abusive, does it? It's like having a horrible strict, and cruel teacher. It's kind of like how Cardan treated Jude in the beginning of the series. And now look where they are. (Well, besides TWK's ending lol) That was worse than this though. What Rowan did with Luca though, now that, I also wanted to kill him for. Seriously. Bruh. He had to bring LUCA, adorable kind and talkative LUCA into it????

Yeah, I love him too, but I don't want it to be a ship either. Lol, I'm dead 😂😂😂 Of course they become a ship. It's so seriously obvious 😂 I mean, as soon as they met it was obvious, and after the drama with Maeve, it was even a whole lot more obvious, but you know, I wish it was still a friendship. Not a ship.

😂 piffle 😂😂 He's the devil honestly (view spoiler)

He is! And the ending was so frustrating and sad (view spoiler)


Rukky Mary wrote: "Rukky wrote: "Mary. I always have a point. And I'm nearly always right notreallybutwhatevs"

😂😂😂 Yeah okay, for ONCE you had a point.

Rukky wrote: "*raised eyebrows* Oh, really?? That would be nic..."


I've been right more than once Mary. But you agreed, so I'll let it go

💜💖


message 15: by Mary (last edited Jan 04, 2020 05:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary S. R. the owl wrote: "Better than Chaol? No ways! I mean, he was so abusive at the beginning and I get that it's meant to be enemies-to-lovers but idk. Plus he gets wayyy too possessive and territorial and all that male Fae stuff, yeah it gets on my nervessss 😩. But he grew on me after a while and I do like him. A lot 😄💛. But he’ll never be my ideal ship for Calaena 🤷‍♀️"

I kinda really disagree when someone calls Rowan abusive. I mean, did you see how Aelin was treating him? I don't understand why his treatment of her is bad, but hers is not.

Is it because she's female and is supposed to be “the weaker of the species”? I just deeply disagree with that, because women are not weak and should not be treated like breakable dolls. There are physically strong women and physically not-that-strong women as there are men. And yes, the ones with physical advantage should not abuse the ones without it. But that's not the case here.

And I can tell exactly how it would've made Aelin feel if, in response to her attacks, Rowan would have just been “shhh shhh calm down baby, I don't wanna hurt you, I'm afraid to match you step for step because I might overtake you” because I feel the same.

Rowan saw the strength in her and respected her for it. He didn't underestimate her. He matched her wildness step for step, and even challenged her. He pushed her to be more. Because that's what Aelin is—she's wild and she's untamed and she needs someone who doesn't attempt to tie her down but flies with her.

That's why I think her and Chaol would never have lasted. I LOVE Chaol, and I love what he goes through in Tower of Dawn (you'll see when you read it), but he needs a different kind of strength in his partner, a steady elegant one, not the one belonging in the woods and all the scary places of the world. Aelin has a darkness in her that Chaol can't understand, and that can hurt a person like nothing else can—to have a person you trust the most and hold closest be afraid of you. And lack of understanding brings fear.

Rowan though, he shares Aelin's darkness, and because of that helps her acknowledge and understand it. Control it. Not ignore and bury it—that way it would only grow to consume her.

Anyways, sorry for rambling, you're ofc welcome to ship whoever you like with Aelin, this is just a discussion, and my focus is more on the abusive part.


message 16: by the owl (last edited Jan 05, 2020 05:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

the owl @Rukky

Cardan's was more like an abuse of power. No?
More on that below👇, but what he did with Luca was ridiculous 😒

Yeah I do wish it was a friendship, that would've been so much better. Unfortunately, Aelin has no idea how to have a platonic relationship with a male 😂😂😭

Yeah he's horrible, he can't even show his own son some love and mercy 🤷‍♀️

Yeah I'm sure he felt like that for a while after. But just you wait for it! Your socks are about to be shocked off 😭😭.


@May

Okay so disclaimer here, I read this book AGESSS ago and my short term memory is not very helpful so I'm speaking from what I remember 😬

Yes she did treat him badly as well but I felt when he physically hurt her when training her and manipulated her emotions etc, it was all a bit unnecessary 😒

It's not really about her being a female, I just didn't like how Rowan is in the beginning and I think I didn't let go of that grudge. I feel like I forgot a lot about how Rowan was in the beginning because I just let my annoyance follow his every move and I never gave him much of a chance. But I'll try and be more open minded about it in the future books and when I'm re-reading 🙃

I never saw the whole Chaol and Rowan thing like that before. I agree with you now, Rowan is someone who matches her wildness and flies with her. And Chaol is more timid and wouldn't have known what to do in the situations, especially with Aelin's whole fire ability 🤷‍♀️

Nothing to apologize for at all, because what are discussions for if not to learn and grow together 💖


message 17: by Rukky (last edited Jan 05, 2020 11:50AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rukky the owl wrote: "@Rukky

Cardan's was more like an abuse of power. No?
More on that below👇, but what he did with Luca was ridiculous 😒

Yeah I do wish it was a friendship, that would've been so much better. Unfortu..."


No kidding!
Yes, but it was still abuse, still much worse than what Rowan did. And honestly, the worst thing Rowan did was with Luca. Cardan did a heck of a lot of worse stuff.

😂😂 Yeah. Sam. Dorian. Chaol. Now Rowan. But she does have a sweet friendship with Emrys and Luca. If you can really call it that lol


---

Btw, the discussion between you too is awesome ❤

@Mare, I so agree with you about Chaol and Celeana not lasting. It was very evident, especially in this book, that they could never have made it work. Chaol is too, not fragile, but he's too tame, too used to order and having everything in a steady non-wild way and Celaena is a hurricane, and tornado, and firestorm all at once. And as even Chaol and Dorian said in this book, he still hasn't learned to accept Cel for who she is, so obviously, their romance never would have survived.

And @Zahra, your memory, and my memory are twins. Just ask Mary. She'll just love to tell you how I forget everything so easily 😂


message 18: by the owl (last edited Jan 06, 2020 12:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

the owl Emrys and Luca were such darlings! Yeah I think the one night Emrys is telling them stories around the fire? That was so sweet 😭💕

I’m telling you fr I cant remember what happened properly... which is why this is my best friend: https://www.bookseriesrecaps.com

They have most YA series so if I read a series over a long period of time (eg: ToG) then I just recap every other time 💁‍♀️💜


message 19: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary S. R. the owl wrote: "@Unfortunately, Aelin has no idea how to have a platonic relationship with a male 😂😂😭"

Read Kingdom of Ash and then repeat that sentence if you can 😂 seriously, that book is a gem.

the owl wrote: "Yes she did treat him badly as well but I felt when he physically hurt her when training her and manipulated her emotions etc, it was all a bit unnecessary 😒"

To that I'd repeat Rukky's response—he was like a stern teacher. Because Aelin wouldn't listen and wouldn't really learn anything because of how stubborn she was. She was blocking her magic and pushing everything away, all because of emotions of fear and grief and guilt, and she had to feel emotions stronger than those to be able to confront them. It's always a nasty and difficult battle, fighting with yourself, and honestly people don't always survive or win those kinds of battles, but what Rowan did was tip the scales in her favour. Without his sternness and help in giving her incentive, she would've never even attempted to win that internal war, let alone achieve it.

the owl wrote: "I feel like I forgot a lot about how Rowan was in the beginning because I just let my annoyance follow his every move and I never gave him much of a chance. But I'll try and be more open minded about it in the future books and when I'm re-reading 🙃

I never saw the whole Chaol and Rowan thing like that before. I agree with you now, Rowan is someone who matches her wildness and flies with her. And Chaol is more timid and wouldn't have known what to do in the situations, especially with Aelin's whole fire ability 🤷‍♀️

Nothing to apologize for at all, because what are discussions for if not to learn and grow together 💖"


Totally understandable hun 💜 I'm so glad you see it that way and that you'll be giving him a chance. Love that attitude 😍 great talk, Zahra 😉


message 20: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary S. R. Rukky wrote: "Btw, the discussion between you too is awesome ❤

@Mare, I so agree with you about Chaol and Celeana not lasting. It was very evident, especially in this book, that they could never have made it work. Chaol is too, not fragile, but he's too tame, too used to order and having everything in a steady non-wild way and Celaena is a hurricane, and tornado, and firestorm all at once. And as even Chaol and Dorian said in this book, he still hasn't learned to accept Cel for who she is, so obviously, their romance never would have survived.

And @Zahra, your memory, and my memory are twins. Just ask Mary. She'll just love to tell you how I forget everything so easily 😂"


Love ya, my rukhin 💜 hurricane, tornado, and firestorm are indeed the right words. I just love that girl and feel her sooo much 😍 loving how we see things eye to eye :)

Yup, totally a goldfish memory. But don't worry, I'm always there as your memory card 😊


Rukky the owl wrote: "Emrys and Luca were such darlings! Yeah I think the one night Emrys is telling them stories around the fire? That was so sweet 😭💕

I’m telling you fr I cant remember what happened properly... which..."


It was so sweet. And I love how he scolds everyone with no fear, Fae or mortal 😍

I'll check it out :) It's a great idea, and I always wondered if there was something like that.


Rukky Mary wrote: "Rukky wrote: "Btw, the discussion between you too is awesome ❤

@Mare, I so agree with you about Chaol and Celeana not lasting. It was very evident, especially in this book, that they could never h..."


Yeah, it interesting that we actually are seeing things eye to eye hmm? Usually we are opposites lol. Love you too joon 💖

Aww, well thank you my dear Memory 😉


message 23: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary S. R. Rukky wrote: "Yeah, it interesting that we actually are seeing things eye to eye hmm? Usually we are opposites lol. Love you too joon 💖

Aww, well thank you my dear Memory 😉"


It's actually not THAT strange, because when comes to books we're actually thinking rather alike with slight differences!

You are most welcome 💚


Rukky Mary wrote: "Rukky wrote: "Yeah, it interesting that we actually are seeing things eye to eye hmm? Usually we are opposites lol. Love you too joon 💖

Aww, well thank you my dear Memory 😉"

It's actually not THA..."


Hmm, true. We honestly agree and rate things pretty much the same most times.


message 25: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary S. R. See? I'm right again.


Rukky I rolled my eyes. IRL.


message 27: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary S. R. That is how much I affect you 😋


Rukky It's ridiculous.


message 29: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary S. R. It's powerful, inspiring, and awesome 😎


Rukky No. It's seriously not.


message 31: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary S. R. Keep telling yourself that.


back to top