Sarah's Reviews > Not My Daughter

Not My Daughter by Kate Hewitt

bookshelves: fiction

I knew this wasn’t going to be an easy read when I picked it up. Not in the sense that it wouldn’t grip me as it did. I read it in one afternoon as it was so compelling. It is more in the sense that I knew that it was going to be emotional, and boy was it that.

The story alternates between Milly and Anna who have been close friends since they were children. I’m sure many of us would do anything for their best friend. Like Anna, I think if I could give my best friend the chance of motherhood, I would do it in a heart beat. I don’t think either friend realises though how much heartbreak this would bring.

My heart went out to both of these women. More so for Milly and Matt though when they get the diagnosis on what’s wrong with their daughter and that’s when the tears started. I’m an emotional person anyway but boy did this story grab me by the heart and put it through the wringer. I’m not sure if I have ever been in such floods of tears reading a story before but this one really got under my skin. You don’t have to be a parent to feel the characters anguish and pain.

This is a story that covers so many different issues that no doubt affects more than a few of us. It’s also about how we face up to them.

Not My Daughter is an emotive roller coaster of a read. I’m sure I felt my heart literally break a couple of times in the story. Definitely one that will stay with me for a long time to come as Milly, Anna and Alice made a huge impact on me and that is thanks to the authors wonderful writing. Make sure to have a box of tissues on stand by!

My thanks to NetGalley and Bookuture for an advanced readers copy of this book. All opinions are my own and not biased in anyway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not My Daughter.

April 11, 2019 – Started Reading
April 11, 2019 – Shelved
April 11, 2019 – Shelved as: fiction
April 14, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Bharath (new)

Bharath Great review Sarah!