Kemper's Reviews > Avengers (1963-1996) #4

Avengers (1963-1996) #4 by Stan Lee

After the Avengers fought the Sub-Mariner on an island in the previous issue, an enraged Namor goes north far enough to find a frozen man in the ice that he throws into the water. Then the Avengers just happen to come across the thawed out guy as they’re on their way home in a submarine. It’s a happy coincidence because he turns out to be the legendary Captain America who has been a Popsicle since World War II. There’s the usual thing of the superheroes have to fight each other before teaming up to stop a stranded alien and then fight Namor again. Then they’re all buddies and Cap is now an Avenger.

Resurrecting old characters like Namor and Cap from the Golden Age days when the company was called Timely Comics was a good idea, and it is cool that Jack Kirby, one of the original creators of Captain America, got to bring him back. As always with these old comics the story is silly and wonky, but Cap returning and joining the Avengers is a huge Marvel milestone.

Random observations:

• Cap is crushed by the memory of the death of his sidekick Bucky, but instantly recovers when he sees Rick Jones and immediately asks him to be his new partner. An adult man swapping one teenage boy for another who looks just like him? Uh……OK.
• The Marvel history I know has Cap and Namor teaming up to battling Nazis as part of the World War II super-team The Invaders so it’s strange that they don’t know each other here.
• When asked where she was after vanishing during the end of the big battle Wasp replies, “I was doing what ANY girl would do in a moment of crises – powdering my nose, of course!” *sigh*

Previous Issue: Avengers #3

Next Issue: Avengers #5

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Avengers (1963-1996) #4.

April 11, 2019 – Started Reading
April 11, 2019 – Shelved
April 11, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Chuck (new)

Chuck White Great review, Kemper, I'm enjoying your trip down Marvel Memory Lane.

As to the Invaders, their adventures were retroactively created by Roy Thomas in the 1970s, in a book appropriately titled THE INVADERS. Prior to that, Cap and Subby had not appeared together in a comic book about the WWII era.

Kemper Chuck wrote: "Great review, Kemper, I'm enjoying your trip down Marvel Memory Lane.

It's been pretty fun. Thanks for the Invaders info. I figured it was something like that.

message 3: by Chuck (new)

Chuck White Most welcome, True Believer!