Amanda Marie ❤'s Alpha Reads's Reviews > I Dare You

I Dare You by Shantel Tessier

liked it

Plenty of twists, but it didn't quite do it for me

This was my second read by this author, the first being Slaughter. I LOVED Slaughter, and was fully expecting to love this as well. But then I didn't. And I'm torn up about it.
I don't mess with incomplete series on purpose, so I held off on this series. The third book is due out two days from now, so I dove in with the giddiness of a child at Christmas, just KNOWING I was going to love it. Maybe it's my fault for having too much anticipation? Who knows.
There were a lot of surprises, twists, and secrets in this book, and I loved that. It kept it interesting. However I did not buy into the dare game. It seemed juvenile for the tasks they were undertaking, and made me cringe a bit. It took me out of the story.
I also didn't understand the perception of the other boys (I can't call 18-year olds "men") that Cole, specifically, was to be followed. Why? What was so special about him that set him apart from the others? I didn't get it.
I didn't care for Cole's character. He had an immature inability to deal with emotions, even for being 18. And his drive to "break" Austin and hurt her seemed nonsensical to me. Even once he knew that she and her father didn't even care about each other he still persisted. It was obviously not about hurting her father. He would have been doing her father a FAVOR by making her disappear, or chasing her out of town.
I am so bummed. I was fully expecting to love this book to no end. And again, the twists and surprises kept coming so that was great. But other than that I can't quite get behind it.

Find me at:
Facebook: https://fb.me/amandamariereads
Blog: http://amandamariereads.blog

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Dare You.

April 10, 2019 – Shelved