Mark Ramsden's Reviews > Back Door To Hell

Back Door To Hell by Paul Gadsby

Thrills - Spills - Emotional Depth.

Back Door to Hell's fugtive couple have rightly drawn some comparisions with True Romance. This is as exciting as a Quentin Tarantino script but not remotely meritricious - 'apparently attractive but having in reality no value or integrity', (Much as I love KIll Bill and The Hateful 8).

Events unfold realistically rather than for effect or as an homage. There's accurate social commentary, good sense of place. This does not take place in an alternative comic book universe: Back Door to Hell is real.

The relationship between the two fugitives builds slowly. We don't get too much information (like you sometimes do with my books...). There's emotional depth throughout.

The bad guy's attempt at toughening up his bullied son is poignant. We see him at a disadvantage with a more conventional business creep. Who needs a crime lord who's run out of money? Time to stop the spoilers. Very soon after starting you have to know what happens next. Which isn't what you thought it would be yet makes perfect sense.
Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Back Door To Hell.

Finished Reading