Kelly's Reviews > A Book For Sad Pets

A Book For Sad Pets by Kristin Tipping

bookshelves: comics, read-in-2019, reviewed

brb gonna go walk my doggo and give him all the treats and belly rubs okay

(Full disclosure: I received a free book for review through Library Thing's Early Reviewers program.)

Hey.

Tell me I'm pretty.

Tell me I'm smart.

Tell me I am of value to someone.

Please, tell me I'll be alright.

I really don't know what to make of A Book For Sad Pets.*

If the mere thought of your furred, feathered, or scaled family member in pain - physical, mental, emotional, you name it - is like a knife to the heart, then A Book For Sad Pets is murder by fourteen stabs. (I counted.)

If, on the other hand, you think nothing of buying a designer dog to specs, like she's a new Ford pickup or a set of custom kitchen cabinets; crow about how your dog is a member of the family...who you keep chained outside 24/7; or dump your senior doggo off at the pound because his incontinence is too much of an inconvenience for you - then this book is meant for you, even if odds are 99.9999% that you'll dismiss it as sentimental librul snowflake nonsense.

I guess maybe the best audience is children, whose minds are still malleable and open to some compassionate guidance?

I fall into the first camp (obvs) and, while it depressed the h*ck out of me, it's also a welcome reminder to put down my iPad/Kindle/keyboard/comic book every now and again and show my remaining nonhuman family members just how much I love and cherish them.

"Please, please tell me that you will always think of me."

* Especially the Goldy panel. It seems pretty tragic, as though Goldy's people view their dogs as interchangeable, but I'll be damned if they aren't also thinking of Goldy 1 and Goldy 2, as Goldy 3 implores. SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO FEEL ABOUT THIS, PLEASE I AM BEGGING YOU. THE GOLDIES FOR REAL HAUNTING MY DREAMS.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Book For Sad Pets.

April 10, 2019 – Started Reading