Elaine Carass's Reviews > Soulkeeper

Soulkeeper by David Dalglish

bookshelves: 2019, creatures, dark-fantasy, fantasy, magic, physical-copy

I need book 2.

I have discovered a talented author who creates worlds and characters to disappear in.

In Soulkeeper we are introduced to Devin who starts out having a normalish day for a guy of his profession to quickly discovering that magic is real and makes some interesting magical friends on his way.
What I liked about this book, was, unlike most epic fantasy's that dedicate a chapter to how grass feels and other useless information, this book is straight into the action, no long winded dialogue introducing new characters, information was given only when it helped the story progress, and what a story. I found myself living in the streets of Londheim, sharing everything that happened. The descriptions just drew me in, I was hoping for more magical creatures, but this is a trilogy so I hope more will be introduced.
Devin has a character was well written and I liked that he had feelings, it's not usual for me to relate to a male character but Devin wasn't written as a macho man, I liked that he relied on his friends to help and wasn't above asking for help.
Jacaranda, she nearly fell into the typical whiny female character but managed not to, we shall see how she grows in book 2.
Tommy was just funny and I liked that him been gay was written in a way that it was never questioned, the author never made it a bug deal out it, it didn't feel forced, natural is how it was and it worked.
I'm hoping for more Puffy in book 2 and I do hope we have more Janus, has a bad guy I liked him. He took pride in his work.
Bring on book 2 and I'm of to find more of this authors books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soulkeeper.

April 10, 2019 – Shelved