Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)'s Reviews > Fangirl

Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Romanceopoly reading challenge: Growing Pains Place
Landed on: Romanceopolyathon
Read on: 14 April 2019

I was a little intimated starting this book. It has a massive following; people adore this book. The thing is...I don't do well with hugely popular books. The devil in me wants to knock them off their pedestal. Hence my apprehension; I didn't want to alienate the huge population of readers who clearly love this book. Turns out I was worried for nothing. When you stay up until the early hours of the morning reading when you have to work early the next day chances are that you probably liked it.

And like it I did. But did I love it? Will I become one amongst the hoard? No. At least not in the same way I see other people worship this book. But I have a theory on that and why I think this book resonates so strongly with a lot of readers, but why I only caught the echoes.

This is a book showing a girl going off to university/college. She's awkward. She's anxious. Change is happening all around her and it isn't exciting; it's terrifying. She feels so real. I can identify my younger self in her. She isn't the "staged quirky/awkward" girl, where the author uses this trait as a vehicle to make her more adorable to the stupidly hot jock hero of the book. She's genuinely awkward and unsure. She has difficulty connecting and doesn't want to try. She's a real person in a way that you rarely find in new adult contemporary books. She has flaws, she has strengths and they are both honestly showcased.

I think this is why this book is so popular if I was a young adult leaving home or embarking on my journey to full adulthood and I read this book, I guarantee it would have strike a chord with me and I would be loving on it hard. Finally, a character I can identify with written by an author who understands that young adulthood is a time of turmoil and change and not everyone reacts to it like a heroine from a romance novel. It depicts the struggle in a charming and readable way.

At least, that's my theory.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fangirl.

April 10, 2019 – Started Reading