Miti Bpunkt's Reviews > Me and Earl and the Dying Girl

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

Feb 15, 2012

Recommended to Miti by: goodreads reviews
Recommended for: Teenagers
Read from February 13 to 15, 2012 , read count: once

I really enjoyed this funny/wacky book and read it pretty fast. Greg has always been an outsider at school. He is intelligent but has a weird sense of humor, moody, shifty, and opinionated. He hates to feel awkward. Due to his looks, somewhat clumsiness, his character and embarrassing moments throughout his life he has had many, many awkward moments in his life so far. So in High School he decided to (first jokily, later seriously) outwit his classmates and their various cliques and hierarchy system by befriending everyone and no one. His only real friend is Earl, a black, poor kid. For years they have made several short movies after becoming fans of Werner Herzog’s Aguirre, the Wrath of God. Suddenly Greg’s life changes, when he has to befriend girl who he used to sort of date when they both attended Bar Mitzvah Lessons. Rachel has leukemia and is probably going to die from it. Her mom and Greg’s mom think it is a good idea if Greg could make her laugh from time to time. Greg becomes closer to Rachel than he expected. Her sickness and seeing her dying depresses him. But because of her he stars caring for things other than himself. When Rachel starts watching Greg and Earl’s movies and actually enjoys them immensely, Greg and Earl make a movie for her. For Rachel, Greg also steps out of his former scheme to be accepted by every group at his school. Greg’s I-narration in “Me, Earl and the Dying Girl“ is, especially for the first half of the book, very hilarious to read. The book is daring, outspoken and clever in many ways. You can’t help but being entertained. It reminds me a lot of that MTV- Show “awkward”. Also I would compare it to another dark/black humor/drama YA-novel that is coming out Spring 2012, Aaron Karo’s “Lexapros and Cons”. Later when Greg speaks about his films and Rachel’s sickness I found myself reminded of John Green’s style. I do have to say though that in the second half of the novel it becomes a little bit lengthy. I appreciated Greg and Earl’s dialogues in the beginning but Earl does become tiresome after a while. The ending, however, “rescued” the whole novel again. “Me, Earl and the Dying Girl“ could have been too whimsical or kitschy in the end. It is neither. Jesse Andrews manages to keep up consistency and delivers a funny yet also serious YA-novel that should appeal to boys and girls (age 13 up) alike who enjoy John Green’s novels.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Me and Earl and the Dying Girl.