Matthew's Reviews > The Firm

The Firm by John Grisham

bookshelves: legal-drama

This was the first or second John Grisham book I ever read. I read it years ago - in fact, I think when I read it the most recent Grisham book release was The Pelican Brief or maybe The Client.

I remember enjoying this book a lot and that all of his early books had a similar feel and were very easy to get into. It was also the start of my expectation that several times throughout a Grisham you will get details on what the main characters are eating or drinking. Instead of just saying he grabbed a bite to eat on the way home, you always get details about what was ordered and usually a couple of beers are involved. When he does that in his newer releases I automatically think "Classic Grisham!"

I have managed to read most of his books over the years, and while many are not up to the same standard as his early books, I still enjoy checking them out every time there is a new release.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Firm.

Finished Reading
April 10, 2019 – Shelved
April 10, 2019 – Shelved as: legal-drama

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)

message 1: by Dianne (new)

Dianne Nice review, Matthew! I really enjoyed this one.

Speaking of “classic Graham,” for me it’s his overuse of the verb “eased.” His characters are forever “easing.” Could he not occasionally use the thesaurus to find another verb, like maneuvered, slipped or edged? I was seriously going to read this (or any other Grisham) for the sole purpose of counting the number of times he used that verb. I can’t believe an editor never caught that, drives me nuts. 😂

Matthew Dianne wrote: "Nice review, Matthew! I really enjoyed this one.

Thanks, Dianne!

Ah! Now I will probably notice that a lot next time I read one of his. If I do, I will probably mention in my review that you brought this to my attention! :)

message 3: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Fantastic review Matthew! I read this years ago too! I remember really enjoying it! :)

Matthew Nicola wrote: "Fantastic review Matthew! I read this years ago too! I remember really enjoying it! :)"

Thank you, Nicola!

message 5: by Henry (new)

Henry Good review Matthew. “The Firm” was his first bestseller but his first book was “A Time to Kill” which is one of his best but did not sell until after The Firm” which was a blockbuster bestseller. In any event I have enjoyed every one of his books.

Matthew Henry wrote: "Good review Matthew. “The Firm” was his first bestseller but his first book was “A Time to Kill” which is one of his best but did not sell until after The Firm” which was a blockbuster bestseller. ..."

Thanks, Henry! I read A Time To Kill right around the time I read The Firm. I agree it is one of his best - if not his best!

message 7: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Good review! I never noticed the food theme. This was probably the first book of his that I read and I read a few after that, but then just sort of stopped. But I always liked how easy it was to get drawn into his books.

Matthew Eileen wrote: "Good review! I never noticed the food theme. This was probably the first book of his that I read and I read a few after that, but then just sort of stopped. But I always liked how easy it was to ge..."

Thanks, Eileen! He definitely has a few tropes that continue through his books.

message 9: by Corey (new)

Corey Good review, I almost think this was my first Grisham book too! I also loved the movie!

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Nice review,read one of his books so far.😀

Matthew Corey wrote: "Good review, I almost think this was my first Grisham book too! I also loved the movie!"

Thanks, Corey! 😁

message 12: by Kimberley (new)

Kimberley I've read a few John Grisham novels but not this one yet...definitely one I need to get!

Matthew Kimberley wrote: "I've read a few John Grisham novels but not this one yet...definitely one I need to get!"

Yes indeed! I hope you enjoy when you do! :)

message 14: by Pat (new)

Pat Lovely review Matthew, I remember enjoying this book years ago. I'm not sure how I would feel about it now.

Matthew Pat wrote: "Lovely review Matthew, I remember enjoying this book years ago. I'm not sure how I would feel about it now."

Thanks, Pat! I have thought about going back to revisit some of Grisham's early work to see what I think. I will likely do a re-read of A Time to Kill before I read the sequel, Sycamore Row.

message 16: by Scarlett (new)

Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance This novel was my first book I read by Grisham as well as my first book I read in English. I was hooked on both after that! I agree that his novels have changed after that, but I haven't read them all.

Matthew Scarlett wrote: "This novel was my first book I read by Grisham as well as my first book I read in English. I was hooked on both after that! I agree that his novels have changed after that, but I haven't read them ..."

First in English? What is your native tongue?

Karen Great review Matthew! This was a good one.., A Time to Kill is my favorite!!

message 19: by Scarlett (new)

Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance German. Born and raised. Moved to the US after my studies. Became a citizen 8 years ago :)

Matthew Scarlett wrote: "German. Born and raised. Moved to the US after my studies. Became a citizen 8 years ago :)"

Oh, very cool! I wish I could speak a foreign language. I took French a loooooooooong time ago. It did help when we went to Paris 10 years ago. But, I only remember the very very VERY basics.

message 21: by Scarlett (new)

Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance I took French for 4 years in Highschool and I'm doing as well as you in that! When I went to France, the French people certainly enjoyed my struggle to come up with sentences 🤣

Matthew Scarlett wrote: "I took French for 4 years in Highschool and I'm doing as well as you in that! When I went to France, the French people certainly enjoyed my struggle to come up with sentences 🤣"

Oh yeah, and as soon as I tried a little, they started speaking quickly assuming I spoke fluently!😳

message 23: by leslie hamod (new)

leslie hamod Great review! On my !ist! 😁

Brandice Great review, Matthew! I’ve read a handful of Grisham books over the years and this early one remains one of my favorites of his! :)

Matthew leslie hamod wrote: "Great review! On my !ist! 😁"

Thanks, Leslie!😀

message 26: by Kat (new)

Kat Valentine Awesome review!😉

Matthew Kat wrote: "Awesome review!😉"

Thanks, Kat!😁

Dustin This was the first Grisham I read as well. I went on to read everything up to maybe, The Testament or The Brethren, I think, but fell off there.