Daisy May Johnson's Reviews > The Abbey Girls in Town

The Abbey Girls in Town by Elsie J. Oxenham

bookshelves: childrens-literature, family, girlsown, historical, series

Once you do an Abbey reread, you can't stop. Though I was much more intrigued by the middle-aged spy drama happening in the background of this cover, and disappointed that it did not appear in the actual text itself, this was pleasant. Pleasant! It's such an empty word and yet sometimes it's full of everything that something actually is. I could not tell you what happened here, nor could I really remember who is who and what was what, but I can tell you that Mary-Dorothy is a cabbage, Joy remains a moron, the vaguest hint of something naughty (the smallest of things!) is presented as something akin to murdering a puppy, there's an INTERMINABLE amount of dancing, and then there's a bit more dancing, and a bit more, and then Maidie's all I HAVE TO TALK TO JOY and Ros is all MAIDIE YOU MUSTN'T and Maidie is all BUT I HAVE TO ROS IT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO, and then everything is okay! We're all friends! Let's dance about it!

And yet, it's really rather pleasant. There's no other way to describe it. Pleasant!

(I am here to provide summaries of EJO's entire oeuvre, you really only have to ask).
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Abbey Girls in Town.

Finished Reading
April 10, 2019 – Shelved
April 13, 2019 – Shelved as: childrens-literature
April 13, 2019 – Shelved as: family
April 13, 2019 – Shelved as: girlsown
April 13, 2019 – Shelved as: historical
April 13, 2019 – Shelved as: series

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Rowe This one was my introduction to the Abbey girls as a girl myself in the early eighties. All I remember is some incredibly good pottery! And, as you say, loads of dancing - and a mildly irritating protagonist whose name eludes me. Enough to have me hunting out as many other Abbey books as I could find!

Daisy May Johnson The skill of EJO is to be irritating and yet oddly intriguing, I think! <3