notgettingenough 's Reviews > Raymond Chandler Speaking

Raymond Chandler Speaking by Raymond Chandler

I want to keep track of some quotes from the book here as I read it.

1949

I'm always seeing little pieces by writers about how they don't ever wait for inspiration; they just sit down at their little desks every morning at eight, rain or shine, hangover and broken arm and all, and bang out their little stint. However blank their minds or dull their wits , no nonsense about inspiration from them. I offer them my admiration and take care to avoid their books.

--------------------

1948 to Edward Weeks, editor of the Atlantic Monthly

...would you convey my compliments to the purist who reads your proofs and tell him or her that I write in a sort of broken-down patois which is something like the way a Swiss waiter talks, and that when I split an infinitive, God damn it, I split it so it will stay split, and when I interrupt the velvety smoothness of my more or less literate syntax with a few sudden words of bar-room vernacular, that is done with the eyes wide open and the mind relaxed but attentive.

-------------------

Written in 1957 to a woman two and a half years after the death of his wife.

'I wasn't faithful to my wife - '

Stop! He should have stopped right there. Six truthful words. Instead of which what he actually wrote was:

'I wasn't faithful to my wife out of principle but because she was completely adorable, and the urge to stray which afflicts many men at a certain age, because they think they have been missing a lot of beautiful girls, never touched me. I already had perfection.'

Sigh. This would have been so much better if we didn't all know he spent his whole married life shagging whatever was about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raymond Chandler Speaking.

Finished Reading
April 10, 2019 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Manny (new)

Manny Did he sleep with the woman he wrote the letter to? Inquiring minds want to know.

notgettingenough Well, let's put it that way. She inherited his estate like this, quoting from wiki:

'Chandler's personal and professional life were both helped and complicated by the women to whom he was attracted—notably Helga Greene, his literary agent; Jean Fracasse, his secretary; Sonia Orwell (George Orwell's widow); and Natasha Spender (Stephen Spender's wife)....

Helga Greene inherited Chandler's $60,000 estate, after prevailing in a 1960 lawsuit filed by Fracasse contesting Chandler's holographic codicil to his will.'

Sounds a bit like musical shags to me.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

That's an excellent case for looking at the books and ignoring the author. ............... Those POMO guys started mixing up everything, and just look what happened.