Jo (Mixed Book Bag)'s Reviews > Dust

Dust by Elizabeth Bear

liked it
bookshelves: science-fiction

Dust has been in my electronic TBR pile since I purchased my first eReader 5 years ago. I loved the premise: A broken generation ship, a star about to go nova, and two women who unite to save the day. Sounded just like something I would love to read but when I started the book I did not get past the first few pages and never picked it up again. Then several weeks ago I was looking for a new audio book and saw Dust. I will often listen to a book I would not read so I checked it out. I am glad is listened but I would never have finished the book in print form.

Dust is not like any other book about a generation ship. Nothing on the ship is as I expected. The story is more about love and hate, reaction to change, and the personalities of the people and the AI’s on the ship than it is about getting the ship to move. The prose is beautiful but often introspective. The characters are often confused and as a result the action is confusing. There are frequent changes in point of view adding to the confusion. Having said all of that Dust is book one of a three part trilogy and if I could find Chill and Grail in audio book form I would finish the trilogy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dust.

Started Reading