Kath West's Reviews > Osgood As Gone

Osgood As Gone by Cooper S. Beckett

** spoiler alert ** *** I was sent a copy of this book by the author for review. This, however, did not influence my opinion or rating of this book.

We’ll start with the obvious.

Osgood As Gone is a book about a queer ghosthunter, and I think that’s a pretty good summary all on its own. Prudence Osgood is a breath of fresh air: it isn’t often that the world is gifted with books about the queer population that don’t focus on “queer tragedies,” as I’ve heard people say. But Osgood? She’s beautifully flawed in ways that don’t inherently center on her identity as a queer person. Beckett does an amazing job writing a woman who experiences real problems, who has lived through real tragedy, and reading it is like coming home.

In addition to Osgood, we have amazing supporting characters in Zack Nguyen and Audrey Frost (though I hesitate to call them simply supporting characters, with how much I fell in love with them).

Zack has major B.F.E. (best friend energy) and has attached himself to Osgood in a way that only a best friend can. He knows all her ins and outs, just what she needs in any given moment, and has made himself indispensable. When Osgood described him as “essential,” it not only made me cry and stuff my face with chocolate, it also made me think of my own best friend, who is my other half in all things, and “essential” would be a great word to describe her as well.

Audrey, on the other hand, is the scorned, estranged, former best friend. In the beginning, I wasn’t sure how to even feel about the idea of Audrey, as that’s all she really was for the first portion of the book, but once her physical character was introduced, it hurt. Because I’ve been the betrayed best friend before, and it sucked. Being able to put yourself into a character’s shoes is a terrifying, satisfying thing. Audrey and Osgood are both wandering, lost without each other in a way that is hard to describe, but when they come back together, it’s like the explosion of a star that you didn’t even know was hovering in the sky above you.

Together, they are the Scream Team. And together, they take on the Lord of the Hinterlands (which is a fucking badass name, let us be real). In my blatantly nostalgic mind, I picture the Lord as the Horned King from “The Black Cauldron,” my favorite childhood movie. He’s (he? Is the Lord a he? Or is he some interdimensional being that really is genderless?) a great villain, and it would take more than a 600 word review to explain just how beautifully put together and complex he is.

But my favorite part of this story? It’s the crossroads. I think a big part of why I enjoyed it so much
has to do with my favorite show, “The Haunting of Hill House,” and how much it reminded me of Nell’s time jumping and adventuring into her own future and past throughout the course of the story. And the crossroads sound scary. To be reliving your past traumas every night is something I’m familiar with, but mine are more of the “trapped in a house” variety, not the “car crash that killed me for eight minutes” variety.

So, let’s wrap this up, shall we? I’ve been excited about Osgood As Gone for months now, but I never expected to read it as quickly and shamelessly as I did, or to fall in love with it. I encourage you, especially my queer pals, to pre-order a copy and give it a try. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.

Signing off,
Kath

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Osgood As Gone.

April 9, 2019 – Started Reading