Sheyla ✎'s Reviews > The Girl in Red

The Girl in Red by Christina Henry

liked it
bookshelves: 2019, arc, fantasy, netgalley, publisher, prhpartner

"Red was going to be the final girl, the sole survivor of a massacre, just like in horror movies."

In this new post-apocalyptic world, there are three evils. The Cough who's wiping up millions, the unknown monster and the evil Humans. Or more specifically the evil male humans who would do anything to get a hold of women and children.

Our protagonist goes by the name of Red. Her real name is Cordelia and her mom calls her Delia. Yet, she only responds to Red. As you can guess, she wears a red hoodie. When Red was eight, a car hit her and she lost her leg. She wears a prosthetic leg but she doesn't have time to wallow in self-pity. The accident made her stronger. She becomes a survivor. Her love for horror movies and biology help with her self-preservation.

A new plague has come over the world. It started with a simple cough. Whoever gets infected, won't survive the virus. Red's plan is to move from their home to the safety of her grandmother's house. She's packed and ready to go. She just needs to convince her parents and her brother Adam to hurry. She knows they are running out of time.

The road to her grandmother's house is full of dangers. Evil men are lurking everywhere. Red won't trust anyone. She's ready to defend herself at any cost. Yet, a greater danger is out there. She can feel it.

The Girl is Red is the retelling of Red Riding Hood. We all know there is a wolf somewhere out there. Red is desperate to seek the comfort of her grandmother's home. Red was not your typical heroine. She knows all the dumb mistakes characters make in the horror movies she has watched and she won't make any of them. Stay together, be patient, avoid the highways, pack the right survival kit, defend yourself ask questions later, don't trust anyone, trust your instincts, all things Red follows are what differentiates her from the rest. Yes, she has weaknesses but not the dumb ones.

As secondary characters go, Sirois is an intriguing one. I wish I had seen more of him. I hope there is a second book to learn more about him. There are so many things that were not explained in The Girl in Red that a sequel is worth it. Even the end felt anticlimactic. Anyway, I hope there is more.

"Good luck to you then, Red Riding Hood."

Cliffhanger: No

3/5 Fangs

A complimentary copy was provided by Berkley books via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

MrsLeif's Two Fangs About It | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in Red.

April 9, 2019 – Shelved
April 14, 2019 – Shelved as: fantasy
April 14, 2019 – Shelved as: netgalley
April 14, 2019 – Shelved as: prhpartner
April 14, 2019 – Shelved as: publisher

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)

❤️ Paulette 📖A great review L💕ve🔥💋

Sheyla ✎ ❤️ Paulette wrote: "📖A great review L💕ve🔥💋"

message 3: by Sumit (new)

Sumit RK Excellent Review!

Mel (Epic Reading) I was hoping for more from this. But good to know going in what to expect. Thanks!

message 5: by Teodora (new) - added it

Teodora Okay, I am going to add this to my tbr list because it sounds great!

Sheyla ✎ Sumit wrote: "Excellent Review!"

Sheyla ✎ Mel (Epic Reading) wrote: "I was hoping for more from this. But good to know going in what to expect. Thanks!"
I was hoping for more too. I don't think we're done with the story. Too many loose ends.

Sheyla ✎ Teodora wrote: "Okay, I am going to add this to my tbr list because it sounds great!"

I hope you enjoy it :)

❤️ Paulette Sheyla ✎ wrote: "❤️ Paulette wrote: "📖A great review L💕ve🔥💋"

Always Pleasure L💕ve ツ😘