Fallon Chiasson's Reviews > Normal People

Normal People by Sally Rooney

Rooney’s strength lies in her equality concern character development in this character driven novel. Cornell and Marianne both do equally lovely and cringey things. Rooney is sure to never portray Cornell as a hero for long, or Marianne as a manic pixie dream girl for long; I thought I could never like Cornell after the first few pages, but then he stole my heart.

Other things you might love: the experimental quotelessness, the heartbreaking one liners between Cornell and Marianne, the ways in which other characters move the novel along.

The only thing you might not like about Normal People, though, is the characters—I am not one of these people. All the characters who go to college in Ireland could come right out of any liberal arts college in America. You might call them hipsters or grungy or artsy, but whatever they are, Rooney crafts these characters incredibly realistically.

Rooney is a front runner of the new canon of fiction. These characters are diverse, divisive, lovable and hateable. She discusses issues that are contemporary and deserving of discussion. I am eager to hear more from Rooney.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Normal People.

April 9, 2019 – Shelved